Dynamo setup questions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
I put heat shrink on all the connectors on my setup as I wanted to water proof it as much as possible - I have routed the rear light internally so it's less of a problem but I was concerned about shorting and also wanted to eliminate any potential rattling.

Dynamo lighting is definitely the way forward if you want a bike you can just grab and go. Same as with full-length mudguards.

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Well the light was not shorting, but still flickers. I connected up the rear and that flickers too, but I guess as this comes via the front light I cannot work out which is playing up. I will try with a multi-meter but I am not sure it will show much as the flicker is very fast.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Flicker was a problem I had with my setup at low speed (<10 kmh) when the backup battery (capacitor ... whatever it is) was not charged. So, eg if riding up a long hill, I could exhaust the backup charge and the light would be reduced to a flicker. On occasion I had to get off because of this because I found it disorienting. At higher speed, and after riding enough to charge the backup, it was fine.

I don't know whether this info applies to your setup.

si_c

Guru
My Supernova light does flicker if my speed is under 12mph, not unbearably so, but noticeable if you're behind a car say, so some flickering is normal.

The question becomes are you happy with that?

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I am okay with the flicker, as long as I don't cause problems for other people. It does it at all speeds (even up at 30 MPH), the only time it does not flicker is at rest when the capacitor is running the lights at a lower output. My 2 concerns are; something is going to stop working and causing problems for other road users. The flicker is very fast, like a really fast strobe. I will try and get a video, but it could be tricky to hold a camera and provide a hand to shine the light against.

Top Bottom