Ear Syringing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

radger

Veteran
Maz said:
Maybe they called out your name at 9am but you never heard it.

Probably :laugh:. They were mumbling names, and not making any effort to check that the person wasn't one of the quite obviously deaf people in the waiting room. It was truly atrocious.

Maz

Guru
NickM said:
A good friend of mine who is Reader in Audiology at the University of Nottingham says that ear syringing is no longer recommended.
A Reader in Audiology, y'say? He must be Waxing Lyrical.

derall

Guru
NickM said:
A good friend of mine who is Reader in Audiology at the University of Nottingham says that ear syringing is no longer recommended.
True, we don't recommend syringing now - the prefered method is suction clearance. Think mini vacuum cleaner to suck the wax out of your ears. When syringing, the water has to be squirted into the ears at the right angle, so that it hits the top of the ear canal, flows around the wax and flushes the wax out. Wrong angle and it hits the ear drum directly, and whilst it is unlikely to burst the drum it can be rather painful. Hospitals tend to use suction only; more GP surgeries are now investing in suction equipment.

Renard said:
Speaking of candles, does candling do the same job?
No. Ear candling does nothing except burn money. Fans of ear candles will unroll the remains of a used candle to demonstrate the muck and debris that supposedly has been drawn out of the ear. In reality this comes from impurities the candlewax itself.

luplowe

I rang the surgery yesterday and they said they wont do it unless Ive been oiling them for two weeks.

so i might have to resort two a trick i did a few years ago with a bottle of mineral water and a syringe!!

bikie

Über Member
When I had mine done I walked home looking behind me most of the way, I thought the cars were so close they were going to run me down.

Top Bottom