Edinburgh Bicycle COOP has closed it's doors (MCR)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
I was in Pop Up Bikes drinking coffee and chatting with friends when I found out yesterday, a walk up the road with my neighbours dog this morning confirms this

Sad, I quite lliked the COOP and the CEO did things for cycling other than just run bike shops like campaigning for a better cycling structure within the council

Its the Oxford Rd/Wilmslow branch and it doesn't look like It'll be reopening, a quick google also show the Sheffield branch has also closed it's doors recently. Word is the landlords rent was increased to the amount that the Manchester shop couldn't survive

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
[QUOTE 4437960, member: 259"]That's a bummer. I hope it doesn't become another Specialized "experience". Fat fuffas with larger bank balances seem to be the way to go for bike shops nowadays, and everyone rides a Spesh.[/QUOTE]

:sad: That's where I got my Tricross but I don't have a large bank balance.

eta: Didn't read properly, I see you mean the Manchester branch not the Edinburgh one.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Interestingly (or not) depending on your viewpoint, that store has the new guarded cycle lane running past it as part of the Oxford Rd/Wilmslow Rd cycle infrastructure improvements.

I popped in there a couple of times looking at the Whyte range of bikes they do/did & it wasn't really busy at all.

IIRC they don't seem to be very competitive with other retailers.

U

User33236

Only been in their Manchester store once a few years back when they had their bike maintenance stand at a significantly reduced cost. Don't recall the shop being busy even on a Saturday afternoon.

Globalti

Legendary Member
That Wilmslow cycle lane development is a nightmare; how many pedestrians are going to wander onto the cycle track and get hit?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Thats a shame, I've been an infrequent customer from the north side of town and always found them very helpful and friendly people even if the stock and pricing could be a bit hit and miss. Its location wasn't conducive to car borne custom either.

Rowbottoms on Oldham Road right next to Failsworth Pole has gone as a bike entity too, they've expanded the airgun business into the bike shop part too.

OP
OP
YahudaMoon

YahudaMoon

Über Member
That Wilmslow cycle lane development is a nightmare; how many pedestrians are going to wander onto the cycle track and get hit?

Totally disagree, its fantastic compared to what was

The people that get hit will be through cyclist going to fast in a pedestrian congested area, I mean, even the motorized vehicles go at walking pace, anyone racing through here on push bike/motor vehicle in busy times is just a unconsiderate tool

Its busy with peds! take your time

OP
OP
YahudaMoon

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Loads !

I saw it happen several times in the first week, Peds v Cyclists, some got hurt.

*I was working a project specifically on & for that cycle lane*.

Sounds like you wanted and working on a cycle lane interstate

It can't happen in a area like this, maybe change your job?

Stephenite

Membå
I liked that shop. I bought an excellent pair of mtb shoes there, and they're still going strong. It was about seven years ago though.

Top Bottom