elder sibling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

I am the eldest in my siblings. The sane voice through most of the years.

Two younger brothers who both hate me on a rota that becomes wearying, gives me a buzz, yet breaks my heart.

Has anyone else got stories about being an older sibling?

Sometimes I think I will crumble under the shoot of the misplaced hatred.

Keith Oates

Janner
Unfortunately these things do happen in some families Abitrary, I know it must be hard and upsetting but if you know that you've done nothing to deserve the bad feelings then try not to knock yourself out. Think of the positive things you've contributed to their lives and hope they will also recognise this as time goes by!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Keith Oates said:
Unfortunately these things do happen in some families Abitrary, I know it must be hard and upsetting but if you know that you've done nothing to deserve the bad feelings then try not to knock yourself out. Think of the positive things you've contributed to their lives and hope they will also recognise this as time goes by!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too much time has gone by Keith. It's got like that band Oasis, the love - hate thing. People laugh at that stuff, but at least they've got a business and an aim.

If you're the eldest brother, you just can't do enough. Your life is an endless trough of experimentation and guilt. And blame.

Your younger siblings blame you for everything they can't pin on the parents.

Abitrary said:
Just too much emotional flux, and I'm bored of it all.

Too much emotional flux eh Abitrary? Shame you didn't have a sister - you could have 'solder'!:blush:

I have two sisters, the youngest of which is 11 years older than me. (Must have been a nice milkman doing the rounds...:evil:) They both have bus passes. Ocassional distain is as much as we can muster for each other at times as any 'family activity' is centered around our Mum, and how to give someone a quality of life.
Don't worry - your brothers need you.

Willow

I sympathise though it's an ex husband not siblings. I love him dearly and would do anything to have him back but meanwhile I know I am taken for granted. If my head could rule I would handle things differently but sadly my heart rules which is very unusal for me.:evil:

LLB

My eldest brother is a total shoot - a really nasty piece of work. I like the rest of the family have nothing to do with him. You reap what you sew.

My elder sister ignored my wedding, doesn't recognise my kids birthdays, has never even seen my 8 year old daughter and capped her performance by not attending our mother's funeral a year ago on the basis that it would be too upsetting !

You just have to accept that some folk can't be redeemed and get on with life as best you can.

max_man

My older brother and I were always very close but somehow never got on too well, always there for each other but never really interacting...strange really. Now though, over the last few years and since we lost our father (died very early at 53) we have been really good mates as well as brothers, I just wish we'd have spent more time as friends growing up.

This whole family thing really confuses me...:biggrin:

Top Bottom