EU cycling statistics, UK position dismal.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Article dated February 25, 2014. Why mention it now? Since then, the UK level seems to have continued to decline (Active People Survey 2014). When will the UK government get serious about cycling and stop this namby-pamby mustn't-tell-councils-what-to-do "localism" BS? They don't leave councils to build whatever junk for motoring that they want, so they shouldn't for cycling. The Cameron ministry should also kick Highways England into line before it bans cycling from all the non-motorway roads it controls.

Silver lining: my local area of West Norfolk is increasing cycling levels. We're still no Cambridge, but we're heading that way rather than declining like the rest of the UK.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Slightly off topic but, UK success in the sport of cycling was being lauded as precursor to increased cycling participation. It may have led to the rise of the MAMIL 1, but in numbers of journeys the sport of cycling is tiny.

I totally agree that infrastructure is needed plus a public/media change to understand that cycling is not inherently dangerous. Seeing as funding is so poor, I would rather one decently thought out infrastructure scheme implemented rather than a hundred sections of painted lines added to the side of a road or on a path.

Top Bottom