Exercise bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm thinking of getting an exercise bike after scrapping my old one that broke. Can anybody explain what a 'spinning' bike does and how they differ to a 'normal' one please. Do they have different resistance levels, programmes etc?

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't think spin bikes have programme, but they have a knob to change resistance and you can presumably get videos to tell you what to do. They are more akin to a roadbike in terms of geometry, exercise bikes are very upright/ Alternative is a turbo

@smokeysmoo had one IIRC

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Spinning bikes have a fixed flywheel, i.e. they are like a "fixed wheel", such that in theory you can't suddenly stop pedalling (although in reality you can because the flywheel has nowhere near the momentum a rider on a fixed gear bike has on the road) and usually have minimal data on show and have a simple resistance knob etc.

TBH, you would be far better off on a turbo trainer with your current bike. Stationary bikes are crap, even the high end ones like watt bikes!

I think it depends how much you want to spend regarding programmes.

Eg: high end gym bikes have programs you can follow but cost mega ££££££££'s

Spin bikes don't tend to have programs as they are generally designed to be used in a class participation scenario, (follow the leader type thing).

I had an gym grade spin bike, and although cosmetically it wasn't great, (sweats a right bitch on paintwork), mechanically it was spot on.

Fact is there isn't a lot to go wrong with them that a DIY cyclist couldn't do anyway, even the BB in the one I had was a Shimano UN55 :biggrin:

If you want a spin bike look for an older gym grade one. Mine was a Schwinn Johnny G Spinner Pro, these are regarded as the Rolls Royce of the spin world as Johnny G is noted as the Godfather of spinning, but to me the advantages of a commercial bike was the availability of spares.

Ballpark figure for one would be around the £200 mark IMO.

Would I buy another? No! I'd find a local class and go there instead as motivation on your own is a killer.

Last edited:

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
Spinning bikes have a fixed flywheel, i.e. they are like a "fixed wheel", such that in theory you can't suddenly stop pedalling (although in reality you can because the flywheel has nowhere near the momentum a rider on a fixed gear bike has on the road) and usually have minimal data on show and have a simple resistance knob etc.

TBH, you would be far better off on a turbo trainer with your current bike. Stationary bikes are crap, even the high end ones like watt bikes!
Not a fan of the watt bikes then....?

Top Bottom