Feeling the fear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been smacked into the weeds twice in as many months, both times by cretins, who didn't seem to understand what a give way was, and despite the fact I was actually across the front of them, still kept going and drove straight into me, so they didn't understand the difference between their brake and accelerator pedals either. We have to share they roads with creatures like this unfortunately. All you can do is try and minimize the likelihood of encountering them, by careful route planning, and if you do still have the misfortune to encounter them, give yourself as much chance of minimizing the potential damage. Then take a deep breath and get back out there.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
At the moment I'm sharing the slight trepidation (on certain roads) after my bit of hedge-hugging a couple of weeks ago caused by drivers playing dodgems (noted elsewhere on Cyclechat), but looking back I saw on a Facebook post from December 2009 that I was wondering what had got into drivers at this time of year back then. I'm sure that with some longer, drier days, and drivers who aren't rushing to see Santa, the worry about who might be going to kill me will subside. I know that the statistics are on my side.

vickster

Legendary Member
Careful route planning isn't really possible in the always busy suburban roads

I just met @jefmcg for coffee...windy, roads pretty busy with shoppers, but apart from one old dear who pulled out and didn't really accelerate (as is often the case with old dears), everyone was considerate :thumbsup:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
apart from one old dear who pulled out and didn't really accelerate (as is often the case with old dears), everyone was considerate :thumbsup:
That always bugs me ... Drivers - if you judge my speed properly and can safely pull out in front of me, then be my guest, but please accelerate away before I catch up with you. If I am having to brake to avoid running into the back of you then you got it wrong! :stop:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Funnily enough, I don't have problems with the cycling I have to do. The day after my black ice incident I was having coffee with some friends. I don't have a car, and getting there by public transport would have been a faff, and it never occurred to me to get a taxi. So I just hopped on the folder without a care. Oh, with a little care and caution, but happily enough.

It's more the "going for a ride" thing that's got me. Two years ago I promised myself I'd do ParisBrestParis next year. I probably won't now, but I don't want to completely rule it out
I'm definitely of the I need a reason to get on the bike, once on I usually enjoy myself, but I don't often just go for a ride for the sake of riding. I need that little push, even if its just to grab something from the allotment.

D

Deleted member 1258

That always bugs me ... Drivers - if you judge my speed properly and can safely pull out in front of me, then be my guest, but please accelerate away before I catch up with you. If I am having to brake to avoid running into the back of you then you got it wrong! :stop:

One of my pet hates, even if the drivers a bit close for comfort when they pull out I don't mind too much if they accelerate away, but it makes me curse if I'm having to back of to avoid rear ending them. Same as when I'm waiting to pull onto a roundabout, I've spotted the gap and know where I'm going join the traffic, then the car driver on the roundabout backs of and the gap and opportunity disappears.

Wobblers

Euthermic
I won't regal you with tales of my crashes, @jefmcg! The fear is only a natural response, but it does fade eventually. The first few times I got back on the bike after a two month hiatus (see my first sentence!) I was paranoid about every car coming up behind me. It's taken two years for my confidence to completely return, but it did. Like you, I didn't have any trouble doing the journeys that I had to, but it was difficult to motivate myself to just go out on the bike. The solution - take the long route when going to the shops! I still do that now on the commute. Don't beat yourself up about it, things will return to normal so there's no need to force it.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I won't regal you with tales of my crashes, @jefmcg! The fear is only a natural response, but it does fade eventually. The first few times I got back on the bike after a two month hiatus (see my first sentence!) I was paranoid about every car coming up behind me. It's taken two years for my confidence to completely return, but it did. Like you, I didn't have any trouble doing the journeys that I had to, but it was difficult to motivate myself to just go out on the bike. The solution - take the long route when going to the shops! I still do that now on the commute. Don't beat yourself up about it, things will return to normal so there's no need to force it.
I've found that, for me, I can get nervous about incompetent driving when I'm not on the bike. Invariably though, once I'm out and alert, I get more confident in the choice of route. Though I will often take a longer route simply because it's less noisy and far more relaxing.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It can be tough after an accident. Just a few days driving or public transport gets me back on the bike when able. I've had two big crashes in the last 6 years. One 6 years ago, and one in September.

Worse this time was the family.

A good crash technique is never ever tense up and stick your hands down. Go limp.

Top Bottom