Felt z85 105

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
Has anyone tried this bike and did they like it enough to buy it?

I'm seriously looking at this bike after a recent bout of bike envy at a development ride but wondered if they are available to try anywhere in the north east?

At £660 is there a better value bike out there at the moment?

uclown2002

Guru

BrynCP

Über Member
I have a 2013 Z85 105. I paid £740 and thought it was a good price.

I've ridden almost 1500 miles on the bike since I bought in May and can't really fault anything other than the rear hub needed some grease to stop it making a high pitched sound.

BrynCP

Über Member
I had a £750 budget and the bike shop had the Z85 for £740 (£925 list, reduced as previous year) and a Giant Defy 2 for £720 (£800 list -10%). I was set on the Defy 2 until the Z85 became available at that price point.

Spec wise, the Z85 looked better to me, with 105 and carbon seat post, and looks wise the smoothed welding on the frame. However, I am not competent to say how the actual frame compares.

Warranty wise I think the Giant wins, lifetime on frame, as opposed to 2-5 years (I can't remember) on the Felt. The Giant is also lighter. Also there are far more reviews and people on these forums with Defy experiences.

I had to replace the rear hanger on the Felt, and it was no problem sourcing that part at all, the bike shop had it in stock and readily available online too. This was due to damage caused by thieves, not a fault on the bike.

In the 3 months I've had it now, not had a single problem with anything on the bike except the rear wheel hub needed a bit of oil/grease under the rubber cap to stop it squeaking. 1500 miles later I'm still on the same tubes and tyres, without any punctures at all. It is my first road bike, so nothing to compare against, but once I got used to the road bike position, I find it comfortable and fast, and have ridden 70 miles on it in my longest journey with plenty of 40-50 milers on the weekends.

If the Giant Defy 1 was the same price, I think I would have gone for that definitely though!

OP
OP
Kevoffthetee

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
How do you find the double crank rather than the triple. I was originally looking at cube peleton pro triple and cannondale synapse triple as we have a few hills around the north.

Then again, anything is better than the 14 speed with 12-26 cassette on le pug

BrynCP

Über Member
I find the compact OK, but Hull and surrounding areas isn't hilly! On the occasion I come to larger hills, I do struggle a bit, but that is probably because I still weight over 14 stone and have a way to go on the fitness. Once that hill is over though, it's a while before the next!

davdandy

Two years ago i was seriously looking into buying the Z95,i visited a LBS and the owner who sold Felts told me the microshifters where horrendous,and that he will not bother restocking Felts until they stop using them.He advised me to look for a different bike altogether,so plumped for my beloved Dale.

I`m not sure if the bike you are looking at has these but bear this in mind.

Pointy boy

Über Member
How did anyone find felt sizing? I've tried a few 54cm bikes and a 56m cube. Wiggle sizing give up to 5'10 as 54 and then from 5'9 as 56cm

I'm 5'9.5 with a 31ins inside leg

I also have a 31 inside leg, and ride a 56cm Felt (F series, not Z, so slightly different geometry) I found the 54 a bit small, the 56 is absolutely spot on.

HTH

BrynCP

Über Member
Two years ago i was seriously looking into buying the Z95,i visited a LBS and the owner who sold Felts told me the microshifters where horrendous,and that he will not bother restocking Felts until they stop using them.He advised me to look for a different bike altogether,so plumped for my beloved Dale.

I`m not sure if the bike you are looking at has these but bear this in mind.

The Z85 has Shimano 105 STI shifters, at least the 2013 and 2014 model do.

Top Bottom