Ferry travel to France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
grldtnr

grldtnr

Über Member
And in those countries you'll find that they mess up things that are perfectly normal and usual in the UK. That's travel - to experience the differences - even at home.

In Ireland, home from NL (where everything runs on time or is well flagged if not) I asked as I bought a bus ticket how long the journey would take. "F****d if I know" was the answer from the ticket seller. When I asked the bus driver he laughed and said it depends on traffic. ^_^
Infuriating or typically laid back Irish? Your call.
At least that's was fairly polite, I once asked a question, and got the reply, 'Ask me left one!' ,what ? I replied, ' Ask me left bollock, yer fecker!' was the reply!!!!

OP
OP
grldtnr

grldtnr

Über Member
As the originator of this thread, I am glad I am not the only one who found ferry bookings with bicycles awkward, if booking a cabin for 3 or 4 people with bikes is such a problem, why is booking a cabin with the same number in a car so much simpler, a Car is far bigger& takes up more room, bikes take up dead space, but we are just as valuable a revenue stream.
Is it that 'elf 'n' safety presents obstacles.....I really don't think it does, all ferry travel with a bike I've ever done, bicycles are loaded on the particular deck first ,then come off last.
Why the problems?

classic33

Leg End Member
As the originator of this thread, I am glad I am not the only one who found ferry bookings with bicycles awkward, if booking a cabin for 3 or 4 people with bikes is such a problem, why is booking a cabin with the same number in a car so much simpler, a Car is far bigger& takes up more room, bikes take up dead space, but we are just as valuable a revenue stream.
Is it that 'elf 'n' safety presents obstacles.....I really don't think it does, all ferry travel with a bike I've ever done, bicycles are loaded on the particular deck first ,then come off last.
Why the problems?
Irish ferries, Dublin Ferry port.
One loading ramp up the other down. Both are steeper than they appear in that picture.

They prefer you to go on first and be first off. The engines running on the car decks not being good for your lungs.

The Holyhead arrangement.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Why the problems?
The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get! People have been taking bikes on ferries for a hundred years! It’s not that crazy!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get! People have been taking bikes on ferries for a hundred years! It’s not that crazy!
Its not even unusual. I've boarded dozens of ferries by car and I'd guess that every ferry queue I've been in contained some cyclists.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
We need a campaign! How do we do that?

Chislenko

Veteran
We are sailing (sound like Rod Stewart!!) Wednesday with Brittany Ferries and there are usually cyclists on board. Will report back.

I will have my bike but it will be in the back of the car!

I know a lot of people have issues with Cycling UK but in my humble opinion any organisation that stands for normalisation of riding a bicycle as transport is good, they may be able to drum up interest.
Overall they are very much a good thing!
There has been a long thread about bikes+ferries running on the CUK forum* throughout the pandemic. There are some interesting nuggets on there, but I don't recall anyone actively campaigning.

*it's not strictly a mouthpiece for CUK, nor is it members only. But it's still "the" place for CUK discussion currently.

Its not even unusual. I've boarded dozens of ferries by car and I'd guess that every ferry queue I've been in contained some cyclists.
Numbers tend to drop off very quickly out of season! My two channel crossings in early October 2019 were pretty lonely. Outbound I was the only cyclist, and shivered somewhat while Qing in the dark next to the cars. Luckily it was warmer in the Pyrenees!
\threadDrift

Chislenko

Veteran
I suppose by and large in Europe it is a problem peculiar to Brits / Irish as most Europeans can be in another country without the need for a ferry.

Obviously I understand that some Europeans may want to come to the UK by bike to sample our heavily potholed overcrowded roads!

Edit. Yes I know countries like Malta etc exist before somebody rattles off a list of Island States in Europe.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I suppose by and large in Europe it is a problem peculiar to Brits / Irish as most Europeans can be in another country without the need for a ferry.

Obviously I understand that some Europeans may want to come to the UK by bike to sample our heavily potholed overcrowded roads!

Edit. Yes I know countries like Malta etc exist before somebody rattles off a list of Island States in Europe.
pssst Scandinavia / Baltic sea, Greek islands & former Yugoslavia, all quite keen on ferries....

Top Bottom