Final weeks of century training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I need to pick your expert brains. I have 3 more 'long rides' left before my first century in mid-September. I've done 2 x 75 milers. I have two weeks of LONG rides and then I'm planning 1 x 50 miler the weekend before as part of my taper.

The question is...do I do:

a) 1 x 80 miler, 1 x 85 miler
b) 2 x 85 milers?

I definitely have felt that I could do further at the end of both 75 milers but is 10 miles too big a jump? Or is two long rides better preparation?

outlash

also available in orange
If you've already done 75 twice then you'll do 100 no problems. Do whatever tickles your fancy in the meantime and ride, you'll be fine :smile:

If you've already done 75 twice then you'll do 100 no problems. Do whatever tickles your fancy in the meantime and ride, you'll be fine :smile:
Honestly, you could do 100 in your training rides, and you'd be fine. Don't do that though, it would ruin the big ride.

The only thing I would advise against is taking 2 1/2 weeks off** before your big ride. Do whatever you like, just get out there.

** though I bet, if you did take 2 1/2 weeks off, you'd still finish.

PK99

Legendary Member
I need to pick your expert brains. I have 3 more 'long rides' left before my first century in mid-September. I've done 2 x 75 milers. I have two weeks of LONG rides and then I'm planning 1 x 50 miler the weekend before as part of my taper.

The question is...do I do:

a) 1 x 80 miler, 1 x 85 miler
b) 2 x 85 milers?

I definitely have felt that I could do further at the end of both 75 milers but is 10 miles too big a jump? Or is two long rides better preparation?

From experience of two years of pru rides.... You have done enough if you can do 75, 100 will be easily achievable.

michaelcycle

As you probably know in the back of your mind your results on the day will be due to the consistency and quality of your training sessions over time rather than one or two isolated big efforts. The marginal benefit you may get from going going longer at this stage could well be offset by picking up an injury, hampering your recovery ability and so on.

This close to the event you just have to trust your training and your plan and hold steady. That is harder than it sounds as psychologically there is a lot going on. I understand this quite well as I am a few weeks out from doing my first classic distance duathlon (or any duathlon for that matter!) and I have to fight the temptation not to go out and race the entire distance RIGHT THIS VERY SECOND....Part of it is a lack of confidence on my part and the fear I won't finish and therefore having the psychological assurance that I have done it before.

So personally, I wouldn't make any kind of big leap (and it is hard to know what that may be for you) at this stage. Perhaps go to 80 keeping the intensity manageable if you like is a good compromise. Don't feel you have to however.

Top Bottom