First aggro from a car driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

endoman

Went for a peaceful country 60 odd miles this afternoon, into areas I didn't really know, but had a map and a plan.

Nice rolling countryside, hardly any cars, B roads and unclassifieds,

I'm tootling along heading to a village when I was startled by a huge blast on the horn from behind. Hadn't heard an engine, and was doing about 25 mph at the time. Let him know that blasting his horn wasn't appreciated, and he called me a " ****ing **at" and to get onto a bigger road! I gave him a peace of my mind and slowed, he then got out of car to try to have a bit more, so I tootled off, went past the horsebox around the corner, and never saw him or another car for about the next 15 minutes.

Had I been a horse, far more likely on these roads, I don't think the horn would have been used.

Other than that a nice ride, met up with a chap from Mapperley CC, who directed me to Southwell where I had a nice cafe stop, before 30 miles back into a headwind. A few wrong turns meant I did 70 miles,

Was nice to be out in the sun for once.

billflat12

Veteran
You would be quite wrong assuming motorists never act like that behind horses, sadly its only the ones who get too close that learn, especially when they try to claim damages on insurance.

markg0vbr

Über Member
no, no, no, you do not remonstrate with the driver,or even acknowledge that you know they are there, you just suddenly find it very hard work to get above 5mph and start to wobble about a bit with the shock of having some one creep up on you and sound there horn.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
no, no, no, you do not remonstrate with the driver,or even acknowledge that you know they are there, you just suddenly find it very hard work to get above 5mph and start to wobble about a bit with the shock of having some one creep up on you and sound there horn.

:biggrin: :thumbsup: Horn tooting completely removes any chance of me pulling over to let therm pass. Hanging back and driving considerately almost guarantees I will let them pass at the first opportunity.

teletext45

me and a couple of mates were turning left all indicated just as a car was approaching the road we were turning into quickly followed was 'f**king indicate' the guy then did a considerable loop round to come past us again just to hurl more abuse.

I'm not being funny but its not my fault if the guy wasn't paying attention when we were indicating.

some people eh!

TBF my attitude towards cyclists has changed massively since i became one, more so just giving that extra bit more room when overtaking being slightly more patient, not that i was dangerous before just give that little bit more now :biggrin:

andy

btw is it just me or are BMW and Mercedes drivers the worst?

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
You would be quite wrong assuming motorists never act like that behind horses, sadly its only the ones who get too close that learn, especially when they try to claim damages on insurance.

There was once an incident where I was on my way home with my parents, and we were going down a country road. It is used a lot to get about and today was pretty busy.

Needless to say that when we came around a corner, we saw two horses in the middle of the road freaking out. Then a man got out of a car facing us and bolted towards the horses, scaring them. He then got back into his car shouting this and that and drove away.

He must have thought that the horses had gone into him or something because he was huffing and puffing like a steam engine.

400bhp

Guru
:biggrin: :thumbsup: Horn tooting completely removes any chance of me pulling over to let therm pass. Hanging back and driving considerately almost guarantees I will let them pass at the first opportunity.

I know this is tempting (done it many times before), but you'll always come off 2nd best on a bicycle.

VamP

Banned
me and a couple of mates were turning left all indicated just as a car was approaching the road we were turning into quickly followed was 'f**king indicate' the guy then did a considerable loop round to come past us again just to hurl more abuse.

I'm not being funny but its not my fault if the guy wasn't paying attention when we were indicating.

some people eh!

TBF my attitude towards cyclists has changed massively since i became one, more so just giving that extra bit more room when overtaking being slightly more patient, not that i was dangerous before just give that little bit more now :biggrin:

andy

btw is it just me or are BMW and Mercedes drivers the worst?

Mercedes definitely.

And Astra's.

Top Bottom