first bike build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blazingsaddles

I bought a used Surly Cross Check frame at the weekend and I've decided to make it all worthwile i've got to get the components cheapely and build it myself. So please go easy on me as I seek to pick the brains of those with greater knowledge than myself.

I'd like to do the following spec, but I've a few questions and queries and would be grateful to know the compatibility of it all.

Shimano 9 speed bar end shifters

Crankset - Shimano Deore Hollowtech2 48 - 36 - 26

Cassette - Deore cassette 11-32

Chain - HG53

I've been informed that a top normal rear derailleur would be advisable if useing bar end shifters.

Deore seem to offer two top normal Rear Deraileurs. The 531s and the 531L. Which one would suit?

Also which Front deralleur would be best with this set up bearing in mind the bar end shifters? In Deore they seem to offer two the M530-6 and the M531-6.

I'm looking forward to the build but definately need some assistance.

Regards,
bs

Landslide

Rare Migrant
I've not got all the answers, but here are a couple.
blazingsaddles;621742]Would a Deore rear derailleur would match the Ultegra cassette and if so which one? They appear to offer two top normal Deore cassettes the 531s and the 531L.[/QUOTE]From the looks of the [URL="http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/RD/EV-RD-M531-2683_v1_m56577569830625639.pdf said:
tech sheet[/URL], the only difference is the colour - S for silver, L for black.[quote name="]Finally part of the reason I want to use the Ultegra Cassette is that I'll I think it'll create less wheel dish, but can I use Deore or Deore lx hubs for this?
The cassette won't affect the dish (for a given number of sprockets), but the hub will. Road hubs (e.g. Ultegra) have an Over Locknut (OLN) measurement of 130mm (i.e. the distance between the inside faces of the rear dropouts). MTB hubs (e.g. Deore, LX) have an OLN of 135mm. This results in slightly less dish. The limiting factor is the frame, so check what the spacing is on your Surly.

Sounds like a great project - hope you enjoy it, and be sure to post some pics! ;)

Top Bottom