First bike! Tips please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
My advice would be ,rag the wheels off that for a few month ,dont waste money on it..
get a good bike nxt yr ,by good bike I mean a higher spec quality fork drivetrain lighter bike..
that bike is perfect for learning and crashing on.

as for the old version posted ? Thank heavens for progress, id never have got back into mtb if they still looked like that or rode like em ...I dont get the rose tint nostalgia thing with push bikes..old bikes are just ....bad memories to me.

A higher quality bike. What will that give you? Better quality drivetrain you say, I bet you wouldn't notice much difference. You certainly won't be saving much weight as most MTB's are quite porky. I would say that Jack's Spesh is about 14kg. Not unnaturally the first thing he does is wonder how he can save some weight. Even a 3k carbon bike comes in at around 10.5kg. Contrary to your belief that older bike designs are bad manufactuers could learn a thing or two from them. A few months ago I bought a Trek 8300 from the nineties, still in excellent condition and saving about 3kg on the above. No front suspension, but do you really need it? So don't be so keen to dismiss them.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
I'm happy to keep this frame I love the style of it and have heard its a great frame to keep and upgrade from a few magazines ect I guess I just want it lighter so I can fling it about abit more, I think for a hard tail this is a great frame for me but I know if I do get another mtb it will deffo be a full sus with a more downhill approach

Levo-Lon

Guru
A higher quality bike. What will that give you? Better quality drivetrain you say, I bet you wouldn't notice much difference. You certainly won't be saving much weight as most MTB's are quite porky. I would say that Jack's Spesh is about 14kg. Not unnaturally the first thing he does is wonder how he can save some weight. Even a 3k carbon bike comes in at around 10.5kg. Contrary to your belief that older bike designs are bad manufactuers could learn a thing or two from them. A few months ago I bought a Trek 8300 from the nineties, still in excellent condition and saving about 3kg on the above. No front suspension, but do you really need it? So don't be so keen to dismiss them.

sorry if I hurt your feelings..but feel free to dislike my commencal and orange i wont mind.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Im glad for the innovation too just because i prefer the modern looks and the fact they have suspension, i wouodnt like to tackle a rough downhill trail on a solid bike but then again im young :smile:

Cubist

Still wavin'
As @jack smith says, that Spesh frame is very upgradable. I'd learn the ins and outs of off road riding on it and upgrade bits as they wear out. The excess weight comes from cheap components as the bike has been built to a price point, and that will mean coil sprung fork and porky drivetrain and wheels/tyres. Depending on the terrain he wants to ride on he'll soon discover that searching the Internet for used bargains is the way to go, with a decent used XT crankset costing about the same as a new Deore, if not less. Same with wheels, a decent used pair of hope hoops will set him back about £150-180, and an air sprung Reba or whatever about £150-200. Those three things alone will save A kilo to two kilos of mass over the OEM kit, then a decent saddle like a Spoon will save another 100g, seatpost another 100g, bars about another 100, tyres, run tubeless anothe 200-300g if he treats it to some quality ones over the OEM knobblies. It all adds up and pretty soon he's back in entry level race weights.

As for modern bikes being encumbered with excess weight, that's not down to progress @Cycleops , that's down to low budget. My steel framed Hardtail weighs just over 11kg. I used to ride a rigid forked MTB, but it's very limiting, in terms of speed, comfort and traction. The Soul will go down a good amount of red and black graded stuff, and there's a local descent where I used to end up unable to see anything on the rigid because my eyeballs were jiggling too much. The Soul flies down barely batting an eyelid. As for the long travel full susser, well, I haven't found its limits yet. As @meta lon says, embrace the change.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Can i just ask, is it worth upgrading the drivechain? Its a mix of alvio and altus at the mo is it worth getting deore or higher ( not to well informed about the mtb group hierachy) as there are loads of cheap bits around, also the crank seems abit flexy when i climb shouod i stay with octalink or go with something else?

Levo-Lon

Guru
Slx is a good upgrade from alvio..xt then xtr. Deore is good basic kit but not that much of a jump from alvio rear mec.
My xo rear mec is 100g lighter than the slx clutch mec on my orange crush..but the slx is a clutch mec and I run that 1x10 with a ssuperstar 36 narrow wide..so 600g saved..so you see what cubist and myself are getting at. My old full susser bike weighed 15kg my new one weighs 12kg..that might not seem a lot but going up a fire road in wales doing the Beast its very noticable with 50yr old legs..

Cubist

Still wavin'
Bang for buck SLX is pretty good value. The hierarchy is Deore, SLX, XT, XTR. You can mix and match to an extent, with all 9 speed kit being compatible across the range. You can't mix mechs shifters or cassettes between different speeds, but as an example I have a 10 speed drivetrain on the Soul except for the crankset. XT M770 was sold as 9 or 10 speed. I run it as a double and bash, having shed the original chainrings and fitting Blackspire 36 and 24 in the middle and granny, with. 30g BBG bashguard. I fitted a 9 speed double specific SLX front mech and still use the so-called 9 speed left hand shifter.

Check the classifieds on Singletrackworld." I've recently seen 9 speed SLX triple cranks sell for £25 to £30. You can swap your existing rings onto the stiffer, lighter Hollowtech cranks.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Would slx be the way to go then? They seem pretty cheap compared to road components, is it worth getting just the transmission groupset or the one with brakes too ive got tektro hydro at the moment but the front pad retainer pin is shot and wont come out so might be worthwhile changing that or are there cheaper better brake options to buy seperate?

Sorry for all the wuestions but ive watched laods of videos ect and still cant get my head around all the different mtb specs

Top Bottom