First puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scaleyback

Veteran
I never get punctures !

My Gravel bike has done over 5,000 miles on it's Schwalbe G-one allround 700x35c tyres (with tubes) without a puncture.
Well to be strictly truthful I may have had a puncture(s) but I never knew about it ?
I use 'Stans' sealant in my tubes.
i-Tb5SQ48-Th.jpg

It works like this:

Schwalbe tubes have removeable centre cores: (other tubes may have removeable cores ?)
i-8bKLKjs.jpg

Remove the centre core.

Introduce the recommended amount of sealant into the tube with a cheap plastic syringe:

i-T6pmJVP-M.jpg

I top up the sealant as recommended and change the centre core approx every 6 months, they can get a little 'sticky' due to the sealant.
I did try the tubeless option, pretty unsuccessfully and gave up on that.

Yes, my way requires a little 'faffing around' initially but nothing compared to mending a puncture roadside.
Anyone else use sealant in their tubes ?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
What! You don't use aero valve covers??
Do they come in red? Black ones would slow me down.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I never get punctures !

My Gravel bike has done over 5,000 miles on it's Schwalbe G-one allround 700x35c tyres (with tubes) without a puncture.
Well to be strictly truthful I may have had a puncture(s) but I never knew about it ?
View attachment 608472
It works like this:

Schwalbe tubes have removeable centre cores: (other tubes may have removeable cores ?)
View attachment 608473
Remove the centre core.

Introduce the recommended amount of sealant into the tube with a cheap plastic syringe:

View attachment 608474
I top up the sealant as recommended and change the centre core approx every 6 months, they can get a little 'sticky' due to the sealant.

Yes, my way requires a little 'faffing around' initially but nothing compared to mending a puncture roadside.
You've got me thinking. I like that idea.

Thanks.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Home brewed slime tubes?

I've considered it, esp for my Brompton back wheel. Mind you that's a Schrader valve ... dunno if that makes a difference. I presume you can remove Schrader cores and inject sealant?

The OP should have found out already if his bike was set up tubeless or not WAAAY BEFORE his first puncture and with no need to remove the tyre.

My Giant TCR is set up tubeless and every time I squeeze down the valve when I top up my tyre pressure, a few drops of sealant squirt out.

OP, when you top up your tyre and squeeze your valve, does some white liquid squirt out? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yes = tubeless
No = tube

si_c

Guru
The OP should have found out already if his bike was set up tubeless or not WAAAY BEFORE his first puncture and with no need to remove the tyre.

My Giant TCR is set up tubeless and every time I squeeze down the valve when I top up my tyre pressure, a few drops of sealant squirt out.

OP, when you top up your tyre and squeeze your valve, does some white liquid squirt out? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yes = tubeless
No = tube
I should point out that when I push down on the valve on my tubeless tyres, no sealant comes out.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Dare I ask.... Is the puncture fixed yet ?

Four pages, a day, for what is a five minute job. Could have ridden the bike a few hundred miles by now :whistle:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I never get punctures !

View attachment 608472
It works like this:

View attachment 608473
Remove the centre core.

View attachment 608474

I used to use sealant (some green gunk, don't remember the brand) on our three wheeler off road pram bitd- they puncture constantly and are a pita to mend.

Easier just to swap a tube on a bike or use puncture resistant tyres on a bike IMO.

Top Bottom