first ride on a brooks saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

Did 70 miles today on a brand new brooks b17 saddle. I was kind of hoping to be one of those who found it comfortable from the off. While not painful, I'm now of the other common opinion that it breaks the rider in rather than the other way round.

If someone tells me they are a cyclist now, and they walk like John Wayne, then I'll know they are a brook's user.

PashleyPrincess

I have a Brooks; I hope to goodness I don't walk like John Wayne :wacko:

Melvil

My GF has a brooks and I've been informed it's a slow process getting it 'right' for you but once it is right it's very comfy. Of course, Sheldon Brown has a quicker alternative to the 'traditional' way:

http://sheldonbrown.com/leather.html - Section on Breaking in the Saddle.

But this may invalidate the warranty!

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

I don't. Couldn't be done with the faff of breaking it in and having to look after it. Never had a problem with the Specialized BG that came with the bike.

I've tried a few saddles, including that one, but I always end getting fidgety on them after a few months. Maybe I just wear them out.

Melvil, yep, thinking about the 'sheldon soak'. Good riding days are too few and far between to spend them turning your ass cheeks into nutcrackers.

simoncc

I've never had an uncomfortable saddle. All saddles are generally OK these days. I've never understood the fuss about Brooks ones. They are OK too, but why bother with something you have to 'break in'? It's so old-fashioned, like breaking in stiff shoes or running in a new car which people used to have to do years ago.

Abitrary said:
Melvil, yep, thinking about the 'sheldon soak'. Good riding days are too few and far between to spend them turning your ass cheeks into nutcrackers.
NO! :biggrin:
You'll soften the saddle but you'll also wreck the leather. Use Proofide, just as god intended. Your bum is softer and peachier than the saddle (oh yeah baby...:wacko:) and will adapt. The saddle will gradually mould to your own, very distinctive, shape. If you managed 70 miles without being constantly reminded of the unpleasant incident in the showers while you were on that camping trip with the Second Chance Catholic Choirmaster's Society then you'll be fine.

Oh. Second piece of advice. Buy a tension spanner for the nosebolt. Then throw it away, as hard as you can and leave the bolt alone, forever.

Maz

Guru
PashleyPrincess - at first glance I thought your avatar was of a girl wearing high heels with her legs spread apart. And as for that black hole, well...:wacko:;)

longers

Legendary Member
New keyboard please Maz :wacko: This one's got considerable cider damage now.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Maz said:
PashleyPrincess - at first glance I thought your avatar was of a girl wearing high heels with her legs spread apart. And as for that black hole, well...:wacko:;)

I thought the same! I never actually noticed the central focal point, because I must have averted my eyes, like a gentleman.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Tell us the story of your brooks saddle, if you will, profligate little chuffy.

I need information upon which to base future decisions.

Danny

Legendary Member
Abitrary said:
Did 70 miles today on a brand new brooks b17 saddle. I was kind of hoping to be one of those who found it comfortable from the off. While not painful, I'm now of the other common opinion that it breaks the rider in rather than the other way round.

If someone tells me they are a cyclist now, and they walk like John Wayne, then I'll know they are a brook's user.
A Brooks saddle will make a man out of you. It will definitely fit like a glove after say 1000 miles :wacko:

Seriously it will get more comfortable quite quickly. But you could also soften it up a bit by applying neats foot oil or the commercial equivalent made by Nikwax.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Dannyg said:
Seriously it will get more comfortable quite quickly. But you could also soften it up a bit by applying neats foot oil or the commercial equivalent made by Nikwax.

During my numerous stops I found myself rubbing sweat from my head into it in a vain attempt to speed up the softening.

I also did about 10 miles hands free in order to stay upright and feel comfortable.

It does for some strange reason help you get up hills easier, because it splays your arse and legs in such a way that helps you put the power down.

Abitrary said:
Tell us the story of your brooks saddle, if you will, profligate little chuffy.

I need information upon which to base future decisions.
Regular B17, did 70 miles on it straight out of the box.
I have a naturally Brooks shaped bum. Rejoice.
BUT, heed my bad example dear reader, DO NOT touch the bolt. Use Proofide only once, top and bottom of the saddle. Unlike me.
I played with my bolt, slapped on the Proofide like Marlon Brando buttering up an old chum and turned my saddle into a saggy hammock.

I now have B17Ns on both my workhorse bikes. They've had one application of Proofide (which is for weather-proofing more than anything) and are in fine fettle more than a year later.

You just need to ride a Brooks, you don't need to boil/soak/hammer or mistreat them. YOU DON'T NEED TO SOFTEN THEM, THAT'S NOT HOW THEY WORK! Every time some fool reaches for the neatsfoot oil a leather clad fairy dies.

Top Bottom