first ride on a brooks saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Abitrary

cheers, might go and scrape off the cake icing of proofide I've put on tonight.

How long did it take to get to soggy hammock? Did you realise it was getting softer and keep going?

longers said:
New keyboard please Maz :biggrin: This one's got considerable cider damage now.

Very funny, Maz! :ohmy:

I gave mine the 'tea shower'! :wacko:

They're heavy, uncomfortable, not nice to look at, and will, in time, go squidgy. I've got a fizik saddle that's done 35,000 miles, was comfortable from day 1, and hasn't changed shape or feel at all.

asterix

Comrade Member
Can't understand the problem with Brooks saddles:wacko: Have one on the tourer and another on the audax bike, absolutely fine, straight out of the box. Mind you, bought my 1st Brooks saddle in the 80's and that took a bit of breaking in. Then someone nicked it.. .. and took the bike as well.

bobg

Über Member
Chuffy said:
NO! :biggrin:
You'll soften the saddle but you'll also wreck the leather. Use Proofide, just as god intended. Your bum is softer and peachier than the saddle (oh yeah baby...:wacko:) and will adapt. The saddle will gradually mould to your own, very distinctive, shape. If you managed 70 miles without being constantly reminded of the unpleasant incident in the showers while you were on that camping trip with the Second Chance Catholic Choirmaster's Society then you'll be fine.

Oh my God, :ohmy:.... You were there too! The upside being that no saddle's got the better me since...

( Actually I do use one and its very comfortable abeit not exactly featherweight)

Abitrary said:
cheers, might go and scrape off the cake icing of proofide I've put on tonight.

How long did it take to get to soggy hammock? Did you realise it was getting softer and keep going?
IIRC I managed to kill that saddle in about a year...xx( What I noticed was that the sides were starting to splay out, at which point I reached for the tension bolt. However, once you've got to that point it's too late...
The thing with Brooks saddles is that the leather is supposed to be hard. The comfort comes from the way that it gradually moulds to your form and supports you. The proper use of neatsfoot oil is on saddles for horse riding and they don't work in quite the same way.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
This may be too much information but anyway...
The only Brooks saddle I've ever tried felt fine to me. I don't know if it had moulded to the owners shape, but if so, my rear end is the same shape as...
As...
OK. I can do this. Deep breath.
As Plax's!
*blushes a little*

Plax

Guru
TheDoctor said:
This may be too much information but anyway...
The only Brooks saddle I've ever tried felt fine to me. I don't know if it had moulded to the owners shape, but if so, my rear end is the same shape as...
As...
OK. I can do this. Deep breath.
As Plax's!
*blushes a little*

Ooo-er!
I think we must have natural Brook's arses ;)
Mine has been comfy right from the start. I have never adjusted it with the spanner, but I have put proofide on it.
Done just over 500 miles on it, which apparently is the approximate breaking in time. I can ride it without any padding either - how hard am I!

Top Bottom