first road bike for colleague

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee_M

Guru
Fit, slim, tall, lady - but not ridden for years, wants to try road riding.

Any idea (other than the obvious B'Twin?) for someone wanting to spend about £500?

I've not bought a bike that cheap, nor one for a female for years so have no idea

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
£500 is far too much to 'try' something. Can I suggest maybe £200 for a reasonable secondhand bike and then resell and look to buy something 'better' if the need arises?

vickster

Legendary Member
Giant defy? Or Avail depending on how tall. Pauls cycles sometimes have some super deals on wsd road bikes in larger sizes

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Sounds good, you can have my first road bike in exchange for her.:smile:

If she is quite tall then men's bikes rather than won specific come into the equation. Halfords for Boardmans is worth a look and can be tried for size at that price point, but decathlon offer greatest value. The 500 or 500SE is a great starter point with £200-250 change from the budget for kit

Darren Gregory

Rides a Pinnacle Arkose 3 and a Trek Emonda SL6
Does she or you have a nearby bike charity that you could go check out? I got a mountain bike from my local charity for £100, it was a BTwin Rockrider. It served me very well for 12 months which was enough for me to feel that cycling was not going to be a "flash in the pan". I have since upgraded but glad I went this route first.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The Btwin bikes are quite unattractive style wise though which is a shame
They are if you have a well publicised aversion to black!

I would say bland rather than unattractive, i got the blue black 500SE for my son, its very well put together and its certainly not offensive to the eye. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

vickster

Legendary Member
It's not just the colour, as you say bland is perhaps a better word
Obviously it's up to the lady buying to decide what she likes

vickster

Legendary Member
Last edited:

rivers

How far can I go?
I've got an entry level specialized dolce. It's a nice bike and I enjoy riding it. As the new models are coming out, last year's models are about £450.

vickster

Legendary Member
Depending how tall she is the dolce might be a little small unless she can get the 57 which might be tough on reduced models. The TT on the 54cm is less than 54. Would not fit me at around 5'10 and I'm more leg than torso. I've sat on a 54, very cramped for me. I'm not slim or fit though :biggrin:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lee_M

Lee_M

Guru
£500 is far too much to 'try' something. Can I suggest maybe £200 for a reasonable secondhand bike and then resell and look to buy something 'better' if the need arises?

ooh glad I didn't listen to you when I bought my first bike then :-)

I suppose it depends on how much disposable income someone has.

Top Bottom