First road bike for....well years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
For the hands assuming the overall set up is ok (get the shop to help you as needed) you could try well padded gel gloves such as the specialized bg gel variety, a more padded bar tape, or ask the shop to wrap another layer over what is there. Tilting the bars towards you a little may help with the position

Make sure your elbows are slightly bent and your grip relaxed. Going forwards, you might want to work on your core strength so your torso is helping out your arms (you may already have a core of steel so may not be needed)

Ref the gear changes, get the shop to check that over, but yes, the shift on a roadbike can be softer and less clicky than mtb triggers

OP
OP
Garfeild

Garfeild

Regular
I have ordered a new stem,the standard one on the bike is 90mm, the one I've ordered is 130mm, so I'll see how that goes, if I've gone too far, I can always eBay the 130 and try a 110.
I'll post back when it's fitted and I've tried it for a decent run.

Thanks Vickster, my core is not steel unfortunately,so I'll work a bit on that front.
I did return the bike to the local shop, and stood there and watched the guy make a few adjustments,(it took him 5 minutes to do what would probably take me half a day) which did improve things, but still feels a bit imprecise when compared to mountain bike shifters.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hi Garfield.

It sounds as if you may have already done something wrong.

You already were a serious cyclist. Riding those distances on an MTB is epic. So why change to a roadie?

If the answer to that question is, because I know it's the best way forward, then you have to stick with it and get the right set up. Personally I wouldn't add risers and try to adjust the road bike to feel like an MTB, what's the point.

I would either stick to the trusty MTB (because that works right?) or embrace the new riding position and allow yourself time to build muscles that don't ache in the new position, believe me they will eventually.

That said, do make sure the "new position" is correct.

Good luck

oh and so far the advice on here about set up is spot on plus, plenty of videos on the tube about road bike set up that you can explore before investing a good deal of cash in a pro bike fit.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I did return the bike to the local shop, and stood there and watched the guy make a few adjustments,(it took him 5 minutes to do what would probably take me half a day) which did improve things, but still feels a bit imprecise when compared to mountain bike shifters.
yup, as @vickster says, the shifting is a little different, but should be precise and not lag or drag. Let us know if that continues because the 5 minute thing the mechanic did is a pretty straightforward adjustment, we can talk you through it if the gears start to drag again (which may happen as the cables losen....I gather they don't actually stretch but sort of bed in and as they do the cable will need adjusting...just like on your MTB)

OP
OP
Garfeild

Garfeild

Regular
The mountain bike is quite heavy, but is comfortable for me over long distances,I wanted to improve my fitness by tackling longer distances, and you don't see anyone riding the TDF or Giro on a mtb.
I'm going to persist and see if I can get comfortable on it, if not perhaps I may go hybrid, I'll wait and see.

Cyclist33

Hmmm, I think you have gone too far the other way with the stem. Of course, as you haven't put up a photo of you on the bike (still!) it's impossible not to be speculating, but small tweaks are the key to finding what works. Going from 90 to 130 is almost 50% stem length again. It would be more sensible looking at 100 or 110 to start with!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
The mountain bike is quite heavy, but is comfortable for me over long distances,I wanted to improve my fitness by tackling longer distances, and you don't see anyone riding the TDF or Giro on a mtb.
I'm going to persist and see if I can get comfortable on it, if not perhaps I may go hybrid, I'll wait and see.
That's what I hoped you might say, so I agree you need to stick with it rather than try to make it emulate your old bike...it will be worth it, promise!

OP
OP
Garfeild

Garfeild

Regular
Yes the road bike is a road bike,it was never the intention to alter the geometry to make it the same as my mtb, I need to adapt to it, rather than the other way round, I just need to make reasonable adjustments to get myself comfortable so I can spend time on the saddle.

the snail

Guru
I think you may have gone the wrong way with the stem - a longer stem will make you stretch forwards, putting more weight on your wrists. I think the problem is the low bars - 150mm drop from the saddle is quite extreme imo, and especially after a mtb with an upright position. It's probably partly down to buying a smaller frame, which will have the bars lower relative to the saddle. To reduce the weight on your wrists, you either need to develop more strength in your upper body (easier said than done), or move your centre of gravity back towards the saddle, which you can do by raising the bars, shortening the stem, or moving the saddle back. If you have your position right, you should be able to take your hands off the bars and hold yourself in position comfortably. Ultimately, I think the geometry of this bike is too head-down-bum-in-the-air for you.

OP
OP
Garfeild

Garfeild

Regular
Thanks for all the replays, all advice/opinions/insults always welcome, sorry for lack of action by myself, not been feeling too well, coupled with having to work weekends not helping, I just haven't had the motivation to get out and do it.
I have a couple of days off coming up next week so will try my longer stem, there seems to be conflicting opinions of longer/ shorter being a possible remedy for the aching arm problem?
I will just have to try and see for myself
Incidentally, was there a ride on today? I had to go to copthorne area, (part of the london to Brighton route) and there was a hell of a lot of cyclists out, too many for it to be a coincedence.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
For me the first thing which leapt out was that you are tall to be on a small frame. Then when you said you have a 15 cm difference between handlebar and saddle height that confirmed my impression that you are possibly just putting too much weight on your arms.

Personally I could only see a longer stem making this worse, though it is quite possible that the toptube is short for you, causing you to hunch, and adding to the problem. However you may be able to raise your bars with an angled stem, they go up to 35 degrees. I'm experiencing similar issues myself at the moment, since I'm on a frame which is marginally too small.

Other thing to check is handlebar width. Chances are that the standard bars are too narrow for you, and narrow bars could well account for a lot of your discomfort.

I'd strongly suggest a professional fitting. You could very easily squander the cost of a fitting in buying wrong parts in trying to get it right, and also endure pain and frustration in the process!

Top Bottom