First time on a proper TT bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brahan

Über Member
I borrowed someone's Time Trial bike the other day for a club 10. It's a steel framed job with a ZIPP wheel on it and it looks pretty mean. In the year I've been riding all I've used is my steel hack so it was a pleasure to ride something so responsive. I had no idea how twitchy they are. I managed to squeeze out a PB of 21:57 which I'm pretty happy with. :sad:
So guess what's on my shopping list?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
A new set of lungs?

OP
OP
B

Brahan

Über Member
Will1985 said:
You're saying you've knocked off 3.5 minutes in 2 months?

Get some coaching.

I would have been talking about my PB on our club route which is notoriously slow because it has loads of junctions and a crap road surface. My 21:57 was on a dual carriageway - out and back job, so much easier to hold the top speed. But yeah I've been dropping PBs on pretty much every ride this year.:smile: I suspect the first thing a coach would tell me to do is lose 2 stone. So I'd rather not shell cash out to hear that :sad:

Do you get coached?

Will1985

Über Member
That makes more sense (plus the upgrade in bike for the ride). Up 'til now I've been getting unofficial (read unpaid) coaching from the postgrad sports scientists and one of their supervisors who is a professional coach. It was more as a trial subject although I missed out on the VO2/Lactate testing as I was still off the bike post-accident, so wasn't as important as some of the others - even so I was given a few training plans and plus PowerTap file analysis.

OP
OP
B

Brahan

Über Member
The training plans you got, are they detailed for your own particular use or would they be good for anyone looking to improve? ie me :smile:

NickM

Veteran
Brahan said:
The training plans you got, are they detailed for your own particular use or would they be good for anyone looking to improve? ie me ;)
I used to work in an exercise physiology lab, and know how to train for short-distance time trials (unlike you, I have no talent, but still managed to get down to 21mins for a 10). I have a turbo training plan which you are welcome to - written when I was a Sports Science undergraduate, and subsequently refined. Drop me a PM with your e-mail address and it's yours.

Don't be (too) happy with your PB until you're convinced it really is the best you can do - it's a work in progress!

Young Un

NickM said:
I used to work in an exercise physiology lab, and know how to train for short-distance time trials (unlike you, I have no talent, but still managed to get down to 21mins for a 10). I have a turbo training plan which you are welcome to - written when I was a Sports Science undergraduate, and subsequently refined. Drop me a PM with your e-mail address and it's yours.

Don't be (too) happy with your PB until you're convinced it really is the best you can do - it's a work in progress!

Could I be cheeky and ask for this training plan aswell?:angry:

Top Bottom