First time using SPD commuting today, fell twice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
They will improve with time. Also, smear a little chain lube on the clip faces, I find it helps on my A530's

Interestingly, I haven't had to do that on my M520's

Has anyone mentioned multi release cleats ?

I have used them in the past, makes things a bit easier.

davyboy

I have only done it once, hurt my pride more than my body. Stick with it look further ahead and try and be more aware of what is going on.

martinclive

Über Member
Keep going with then - it's not the tension but the repetition - you will find soon you are unclipping in situations like this without even realizing you have

I now hate cycling on flat pedals - feet keep jumping off them!

Tynan

Veteran
used clipless for the best part of ten years without a fall, some nasty wobbles and close shaves

until a month ago when I stopped at work, clean forgot i was clipped in and fell, and gave my arm a nasty whack

no-one saw though

Stinboy

Über Member
Yeah, stick with it and after a couple of weeks it'll just become muscle memory. As you're coasting in to lights etc you'll unclip without thinking about it. The one thing I would say is try to get into the habit of unclipping both sides. I got into the habit of only ever unclipping my left which then led to a clipless moment after using them for two years. I was waiting for the mechanised gate to open at work and the opposite side to normal opened. It put me totally off balance and my right foot did not disengage in time because I wasn't used to it. Splat. Bent derailleur hanger...

In terms of which pedals I guess it's personal choice but for me it's Crank Bros Eggbeaters. The fact that they're symmetrical in any direction means you barely ever "miss." The engage time is massively rapid so I go through loads of false starts behind people failing to get into spuds quickly. Pretty much just aim your foot at the pedal and ride. The clip engages without you even thinking about it. I even have them on my road bike - yes, dirty MTB things on there, I know! ;)

+1 on eggbeaters :smile:

Top Bottom