Fitness, Freshness and Form - on Strava

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Does anyone use the Fitness, Freshness and Form function on Strava?

What does it tell you if anything?

Martin

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Not a lot unless you are using a hrm. I stopped using my hrm and according to Strava I am now less fit despite cycling faster and longer than when I was using my hrm.

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
I'm not really sure what it tells me but if I've had a good quick ride and I feel on form, the charts seems to reflect it and vice versa. I have seen my fitness increase as my miles and speed increase but I'm not sure it's a usable tool and more of a gimmick for statos.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The vast majority of people have no clue how to interpret or utilise a performance management chart. As such any conclusions drawn by the average Joe are pretty much worthless.

Like most training metrics really...

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
The vast majority of people have no clue how to interpret or utilise a performance management chart. As such any conclusions drawn by the average Joe are pretty much worthless.

Like most training metrics really...

That's quite a bleak position.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's quite a bleak position.

It's correct though.

Unless you have a coach/support, Power meters and stuff, for the average ride it's no use. Just go and ride.

When you want to compete, and to a good level, then a coach will help and you can use some real data, not the silly strava stuff.

PS @Rob3rt is a pretty handy TT rider. Fast as Fark !!!!

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
It's correct though.

PS @Rob3rt is a pretty handy TT rider. Fast as Fark !!!!

I don't doubt it. Plus I agree that getting a coach, or understanding the theory in some detail is the proper way to go. However, I'm surprised that there is NO value in any other system or data, even if rather limited.

There is psychological value, at least to me, in the fitness/freshness function, whether or not there is any serious means of using it for actual feedback into 'training'. For example, it encourages me that the fitness number trends upwards, and the short term, downward slope encourages me to arrest the decline and get out on the bike. It's also interesting to see how the data's suggestion of form relates to how I feel when I go out. I don't remotely imagine that I can use it, or any other data, as serious feedback to act upon; it's just another thing showing medium to long term trends which helps provide a sense of 'getting somewhere'.

In short, it's entertaining and provides positive feedback, whether or not it can be, or is, used as a serious training tool.

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
[QUOTE="Sea of vapours, post: 3668128, member: 40301"

In short, it's entertaining and provides positive feedback, whether or not it can be, or is, used as a serious training tool.[/QUOTE]

Good point. I've only just started looking at it and I agree with this. I wouldn't expect to use it as a serious training tool, but I wondered if it had some, if limited" practical value.

I don't see how the Strava one can be accurate. I downloaded some add-ons for Sportracks with this stuff on, not because I needed it but because I like to know how these things work and play with them. It rapidly became obvious as I set it up and read about it, that it requires a fair amount of dedication to assign scores to your rides which feed into the apps and give accurate information. Without doing that, it tells you what you already know: I'm tired, I feel fit, I'm struggling, I've done too little, I've done too much etc... What you want is to tune it to tell you precisely what you need to do to peak for something. It's a tool for the dedicated amateur or professional, needless to say, I soon ditched it. I can't imagine the Strava one is good enough for anything more than broad generalisations, fun rather than useful.

DWiggy

Über Member
I have no idea what the figures mean or if useful, I use a HR monitor and my current figs are: 38 Fitness ¦ 39 Fatigue ¦ -2 Form ? any ideas?

Top Bottom