FNRttC PROVISIONAL 2012 dates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
Which means Del must now be sporting at least a couple of panniers of Susie's shopping. And not all from Decathalon ... or has she succumbed to this biking thing?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
They're both alive - 'twas Susie who sent me a text!

Text? Duh!! Those with Facebook had full updates with pictures...
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
we are back in dear old Blighty, and pondering.....

Susie was heroic, but sometimes heroics were needed. I think that the expedition was a mite misconceived, and for the following reasons.....

- I underestimated the traffic levels, and by quite a way. The N-roads that ran parallel to the spanish C-roads were full of trucks - driven, it must be said, with consideration, but, nonetheless, awful big. Some of the french D-roads were horrendously busy, and the tarmac was variable.

- our stopovers were delightful. Badalona, Gerona, Perpignan, Agde, Arles, Brignoles and Cagnes were sweet, but on the french side of the border it has to be said that the nice towns were surrounded by.....crap. The road from Boulou to Perpignan wasn't just busy - the view either side was horrible.

We faced unseasonable heat - the temperature reached 33degC, and it might be that May would have been a better bet, but the basic question is - do the really nice bits make the grungy bits worthwhile? I'm not convinced they do.

mistral

Guru
we are back in dear old Blighty, and pondering.....

Susie was heroic, but sometimes heroics were needed. I think that the expedition was a mite misconceived, and for the following reasons.....

- I underestimated the traffic levels, and by quite a way. The N-roads that ran parallel to the spanish C-roads were full of trucks - driven, it must be said, with consideration, but, nonetheless, awful big. Some of the french D-roads were horrendously busy, and the tarmac was variable.

- our stopovers were delightful. Badalona, Gerona, Perpignan, Agde, Arles, Brignoles and Cagnes were sweet, but on the french side of the border it has to be said that the nice towns were surrounded by.....crap. The road from Boulou to Perpignan wasn't just busy - the view either side was horrible.

We faced unseasonable heat - the temperature reached 33degC, and it might be that May would have been a better bet, but the basic question is - do the really nice bits make the grungy bits worthwhile? I'm not convinced they do.
Sounds like quite an ordeal, hope Susie was able to enjoy the bits in between the hard slog, and you of course!

ianmac62

Guru
Don't know if you flew home from Nice too. I did at the end of September (Easyjet Nice to Luton) after cycling from Caen. Just popped bike into plastic bag without any packaging and trusted to French baggage handlers' respect for velo culture. It worked - and I wheeled the bike through Luton Airport afterwards.

The problem, however, is the months of worry. Flight booked nine months earlier and hardly a day passed without me thinking, "Am I doing the right thing?"

So, for future adventures, I'm seriously considering alternatives to air travel.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I had no problem with the packaging from Nice. I bought a swimming pool cover from a hardware store in Cagnes, along with some gaffer tape. Reversed the pedals, left the handlebars as they were, and shrouded them in blue plastic. It helped that we flew in to London City, which is even smaller than Luton - the baggage handlers pulled the bikes out of the plane and carried them to the baggage hall, which is about the size of a large scout hut.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Sounds like quite an ordeal, hope Susie was able to enjoy the bits in between the hard slog, and you of course!
there were good times, and there was a sense of accomplishment. I think I let her down, though.

mistral

Guru
there were good times, and there was a sense of accomplishment. I think I let her down, though.
That's difficult to believe, but it's a shame that it didn't turn out as you'd hoped. I'm sure Susie will give us a full and frank report over a few beers. I suppose the air was a blue as the sky much of the time!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

Judging by her Facebook postings, you did her proud. You were sadly unable to predict headwinds, traffic levels & the heat. But who would? Don't be too hard on yourself.
HPCJoG it is then?

Top Bottom