FNRttC FNRttC to Brighton 8th May 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
Aperitif said:
Coo! I go for a wander around Evans in The Cut (only seen two bikes I fancy) and you lot are being cruel to Davynutwhips...
...carry on. :cheers:

Come on ChrisKH - you know you want to...Ars Longa Vita Brevis and all that...
All that being "Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile." (Which means; it's hard going up Ditchling Beacon and you have to try a bit of this and a bit of that, but it makes the breakfast on the seafront idyllic...):cheers:

I would love to, Aperitif. Unfortunately I have just been told I have to be in Dedham for 1pm the following day for a 75th birthday celebration lunch. I think even Lance Armstrong would be pushed to do Brighton to Dedham (Suffolk/Essex borders) in five hours on a bike.

I wouldn't mind but it's for the father-in-law who keeps telling me I'm not a real cyclist. This is the guy who used to train (and drink) with Charly Gaul. Bloody foreigners. :birthday:

I promise to do the next one - I'm definitely up for a warm weather overnighter, hopefully there will be a few in the summer. :birthday:

Get the train back Chris - skip breakfast (the best bit:biggrin:) and you'll be back in town in order to head for the sticks tout de suite! Come on - you know it makes sense Mrs KH - he'll only snore all night...:birthday:

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
ChrisKH said:
I would love to, Aperitif. Unfortunately I have just been told I have to be in Dedham for 1pm the following day for a 75th birthday celebration lunch. I think even Lance Armstrong would be pushed to do Brighton to Dedham (Suffolk/Essex borders) in five hours on a bike.
That's my part of the world, Dedham. If you see me triking around (I am doing a YACF ride from Marks Tey that day, going past Dedham on the way) give me a wave.

not sure I can come out and play on this ride yet?

Other than Ditchling what are the hills like on this ride as I still really dont like hills yet !

ta

Mista Preston said:

Other than Ditchling what are the hills like on this ride as I still really dont like hills yet !

ta

There's more hills than on the Southend route. ;)

Other than Ditchling, the only fairly steep one is Turner's Hill. Most of the rest are up and down type hills, so if you're struggling a bit going up, make sure you make the most of going down, to use the momentum to get up the other side. It'll get easier, the more times you do it. :smile:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Flying Dodo said:
There's more hills than on the Southend route. ;)

Other than Ditchling, the only fairly steep one is Turner's Hill. Most of the rest are up and down type hills, so if you're struggling a bit going up, make sure you make the most of going down, to use the momentum to get up the other side. It'll get easier, the more times you do it. :smile:

Personally, I'd rate Portnalls Road as a bit tougher than Bread and Cheese (the hill you went up outside Southend). It's certainly trickier. Turners Hill is about the same as Bread and Cheese, but a bit tricky - you may have to change down half way up. Ditchling is a bastard. As hills go (130metres in 1km) it's not particularly steep, but it's those really sharp ten or twenty metre stretches that get you. And the realisation that, no, that isn't the summit - there's another bend - that's hard to take.

Brighton is a tougher ride all round than Southend - it's wearing because it's rarely flat. The trick is to find a back wheel and relax. Now, where is Dan B......

iLB

Hello there
Mista Preston said:

ta

you'll be able to cope Clive, they're not that bad ;)
you can come out and do some hills with mr.allsopp and i before hand and get some practice, how does Toys, Ide, Box and Westerham Hill grab you as pre' Brighton training?? :smile::evil:

gbs

Guru
so we're hoping that all those that wants to come gets to come.....[/quote]

Well, I have just woken up and realised that I have probably missed the boat but if that is not the case

1. what is FNRttC?
  2. when do you start?
  3. presumably HPC is Hyde Park Corner - but where exactly?
  4. the distance will be a "first" for me and I will bring my (senior) rail card
  5. is any one else expecting to take 4 hrs or so?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
gbs said:
Well, I have just woken up and realised that I have probably missed the boat but if that is not the case

1. what is FNRttC?
  2. when do you start?
  3. presumably HPC is Hyde Park Corner - but where exactly?
  4. the distance will be a "first" for me and I will bring my (senior) rail card
  5. is any one else expecting to take 4 hrs or so?
Well, this one will be my first but I've been following these threads for a while, so:
1. Friday Night Ride To The Coast. http://fnrttc.blogspot.com/2008/04/heres-basics.html
2. Midnight, or just after. Saturday, if you're splitting hairs (and I'm not)
3. Wellington Arch, I believe (rather than HPC Underground station or anywhere else). If in doubt, look for 50 or 60 cyclists, that's what I'll do :biggrin:
4. Me too (though I'm doing the IOW on the Sunday before, that's about the same distance- longer by the time I've got over there and back). If you can do thirty or forty miles OK in a morning/afternoon, I'd say you'll be fine for it.
5. 4 hours? I'm nearer young person's railcard age than senior and I couldn't do it that quick (22 miles to Bognor took me just under two hours yesterday). 4 hours for London to Brighton for me- well, perhaps on a very expensive bike after some intensive training, but not now! It's definitely not that fast- there will be a midway stop for refreshment, no-one gets left behind so there will be pauses so the tail-enders (that'll be including me, quite possibly) catch up, and the plan is to arrive in Brighton for breakfast at 7 or so.

StuAff said:
(22 miles to Bognor took me just under two hours yesterday)

Now't wrong with that...I did Littlehampton to Gunwharf, in 2 hours, a couple of weekends ago, I came down for a ferry timetable!
If my finger is sorted, I'll be doing the IoW too, may see ya!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
stoatsngroats said:
Now't wrong with that...I did Littlehampton to Gunwharf, in 2 hours, a couple of weekends ago, I came down for a ferry timetable!
If my finger is sorted, I'll be doing the IoW too, may see ya!

I agree, considering I'm a stick thin weakling and my two chariots are (a) flat bar with a pretty upright position and (:biggrin: 11 and 12 kg respectively. I must, gradually, getting faster (I hope), I'm putting the miles and effort in (average mileage since January 50-80, did 100 last week , up from 20- work and back only- a couple of years ago), and the speedo may say pootle, the heart, lungs and muscles say attack!.
Hope the finger recovers, would be nice to get a CC/YACF peloton together, so the more the merrier.

Top Bottom