FNRttC FNRttC to Newhaven, Dieppe and Paris 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

so would we do it again next year?

If people are enthusiastic I'll probably write to LD Lines and suggest that they make more space available for bikes.

Never mind doing it as a foreign jaunt, what about putting it on the regular run? The lanes through East Sussex were as smooth as a sprinter's legs and the breakfast was excellent. And the cafe serves both kinds of beer.

frank9755

Cyclist
What's that Stuart - wheel size?

Some odd pictures are here. Weather adversity meant that ride photos were not on my radar for Saturday.

Good memories, Teef!

Shame we didn't get a picture of the interior of the Unisex bar - you know the one that everyone thought looked like Adrian's living room...

Good memories, Teef!

Shame we didn't get a picture of the interior of the Unisex bar - you know the one that everyone thought looked like Adrian's living room...

Ah yes! I meant to do it but I was probably too wobbly by then...and it was more interesting queueing with the masses to have a pee. How did Titus know about such 'preferences' when it comes to decor? We know that Adrian is on a par with Incapability Brown when it comes to garden design, but if his abode is fancy like that bar - well!
Do you think it was Adrian, or perhaps someone else that has caused Titus to think about shaving his legs? I was shocked by his revelations (and his revolutions - but that's tiny wheels for you) and we await further developments.
2jbrwb6.jpg

He also thought about buying these for 'a loved one'
2na1e1c.jpg

What a ride! Thank you to you all, especially of course Dellzeqq, User10571, Teef, Frank9755 and Titus. I have written a report as a reminder of quite the most spectacular series of three days I have had and put it here And I have some pics here

M :bicycle:

Attachments

• Gourmet Catering in Gatwick.jpg
    Gourmet Catering in Gatwick.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Knees Up in Lingfield for Dellzeqq.jpg
    Knees Up in Lingfield for Dellzeqq.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Bonjour Monsieur Dame.jpg
    Bonjour Monsieur Dame.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 95
  • Brompton Oratory Perhaps.jpg
    Brompton Oratory Perhaps.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 94
  • Mice Triumphant a L\'Arc de Triomphe.jpg
    Mice Triumphant a L\'Arc de Triomphe.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 91

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Thanks Rich, flat suits me right down to the ground..... I've had the Westvleterens before but once once or twice for each, they're as rare as hens teeth (and pricey too). De Panne and Veurne look pretty interesting, and the route goes through plenty of the WW1 stuff to be interesting.

I think next year I might go for the Chemin des dames a bit further down, have driven it and it's ace.

I don't know the chemin de dames but I'll check it out. I did some lumpy stuff in the Ardennes once which was good too.

Ieper (Ypres) for the Last Post at the Menin Gate at 8pm is worth catching and Tyne Cot is the biggest of many moving WW1 cemeteries.

If you're very bored I did a blog of my trip here - http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/4925

I don't know the chemin de dames but I'll check it out. I did some lumpy stuff in the Ardennes once which was good too.

Ieper (Ypres) for the Last Post at the Menin Gate at 8pm is worth catching and Tyne Cot is the biggest of many moving WW1 cemeteries.

If you're very bored I did a blog of my trip here - http://www.crazyguyo...ke.com/doc/4925

Scene of a lot of fighting in WW1 - there's still trenches etc at one spot, also the remnants of the village of Craonne that was razed. There's also the Caverne du Dragones which was the site of underground fighting in an old quarry. Oh and the site of Napoleon's last victory before Waterloo iirc.

The actual bit is only about 20 miles long (on the D18) but the views are stunning, well worth a trip. I love it round there and luckily the in-laws have a caravan a bit further north in St Quentin so we get a free base to go exploring (and cheap champagne in the supermarkets)

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Never mind doing it as a foreign jaunt, what about putting it on the regular run? The lanes through East Sussex were as smooth as a sprinter's legs and the breakfast was excellent. And the cafe serves both kinds of beer.
it's the trains back..........

martint235

Dog on a bike
1385911 said:
You just sell the delights of Brighton and the undercliff path and the train problem evaporates

Oh yes the undercliff path! How could we pretend to be going to work on a Saturday to appease the nice ladies......

Although the Sidewinder was a very pleasant way to while away an afternoon.

Quagga

Almost extinct
Oh yes the undercliff path! How could we pretend to be going to work on a Saturday to appease the nice ladies......

Although the Sidewinder was a very pleasant way to while away an afternoon.

Well i rationalised it to myself that i was actually on my way to work, it's just that it was going to take til monday morning to get there, and involve a short stop at home along the way.

+1 for me on adding it to the regular list.
Ride was great and phenomenally smooth in parts, and the cafe ticked the boxes too.

I understand about the trains but as long as it's clear in the instructions i.e. Tricky train ride or a short up and down to Brighton it should be okay.

Tim Hall

Whitstable: Two trains per hour plus more from Canterbury a short ride away.

Newhaven: Two trains per hour plus more from Brighton a short ride away.

<raises quizzical eyebrow in dell's direction>

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Whitstable: Two trains per hour plus more from Canterbury a short ride away.

Newhaven: Two trains per hour plus more from Brighton a short ride away.

<raises quizzical eyebrow in dell's direction>
and change at Lewes...... To be honest, Whitstable isn't ideal - but it's there. It's only a matter of time before we come mightily unstuck.

At the moment we have
Brighton 3 + 1
Bognor 2
Whitstable 2
Southend 2
Newhaven/Dieppe/Paris 1
York 1
Manchester 1
South Wales 1
Superspeedy 1

next year we're likely to have
Brighton 3 +1
Bognor 2
Whitstable 2
Southend 1
Burnham 1
Newhaven/Dieppe/Paris 1
York 1
Manchester 0/1
South Wales 1
Superspeedy 5

I could drop one of the Bognor rides for a Newhaven Ride.........

frank9755

Cyclist
I'm sure you've done the research and we were just very lucky but, last year, Titus and I left the portakabin cafe, hopped over the road to the station, bought tickets and walked on to the platform to find a direct train to Victoria just pulling up!

Top Bottom