Foodie 1:0 Wasps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Following on from the earlier wasp thread, the nest under our roof tiles just became too large and vibrant. They had to go. Last night at about 11.30 I donned a thick red fire-resistant overall, a towel around my neck, a facemask, safety glasses, head torch, my cycle helmet covered in a tesco bag and 2 tubs of Ant powder (also suitable for killing flying insects) one in each chest pocket of the overalls. I stepped outside to survey the battle-ground. All was quiet. I carefully ascended the ladder I set-up earlier with the help of my neighbour Terry, who said " You're gonna do WHAT?????".
I reached the guttering and peered over, the coast was clear. I let go with both bottles, under tiles in the gaps, under the lead flashing... it was a white-out. Ammo gone I withdrew rapidly from the scene to decontaminate myself.
This evening, not a single wasp, none. Victory is mine.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bet you looked a sight !! :smile:;)

PaulB

Legendary Member
Foodie 1:0 Wasps. They think it's all over....but it's only half time! Wait until the other wasps in the neighbourhood stage a second half fightback. There'll be tears before bedtime, I'll wager.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sorry to tell you but all the young wasps deep inside the nest will be alive and kicking. Don't ask me how I know.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Rigid Raider said:
Sorry to tell you but all the young wasps deep inside the nest will be alive and kicking. Don't ask me how I know.

I'm aware this might be the case. I'm prepped for the rematch!

I'm hoping that a combination of the breeze up and under the tiles and the amount of powder under the tiles added an amount of powder being carried into the nest by the other waps might keep any further waspies at bay.

I'll get photos next time, Terry my neighbour is keen to witness the event!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

threebikesmcginty said:
Can Terry get a camcorder FF? - could be some classic youtube footage in the offing here.

We'll keep an eye on the Abingdon Herald too!

It'll be front page news round here...

bonj2

Fab Foodie said:
Following on from the earlier wasp thread, the nest under our roof tiles just became too large and vibrant. They had to go. Last night at about 11.30 I donned a thick red fire-resistant overall, a towel around my neck, a facemask, safety glasses, head torch, my cycle helmet covered in a tesco bag and 2 tubs of Ant powder (also suitable for killing flying insects) one in each chest pocket of the overalls. I stepped outside to survey the battle-ground. All was quiet. I carefully ascended the ladder I set-up earlier with the help of my neighbour Terry, who said " You're gonna do WHAT?????".
I reached the guttering and peered over, the coast was clear. I let go with both bottles, under tiles in the gaps, under the lead flashing... it was a white-out. Ammo gone I withdrew rapidly from the scene to decontaminate myself.
This evening, not a single wasp, none. Victory is mine.

Well done, but you've actually been quite cruel there, because wasps are actually very clean, harmless animals. Not to mention the damage you've done to the environment with all your strong chemicals and fumigation!
:biggrin:

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

bonj said:
Well done, but you've actually been quite cruel there, because wasps are actually very clean, harmless animals. Not to mention the damage you've done to the environment with all your strong chemicals and fumigation!
;)
Thanks bonj:biggrin:

But here's the deal.
I hate wasps, with a passion. The little feckers are attracted to me like flies to sh1t. The other week in Belgium, nice warm evenings, good beer and constant wasp attacks. The feckers ruined a pleasant evenings al fresco eating and drinking. Same in my garden, constantly buzzed by the bastard jaspers. So what great service do they provide eh?
AFAIC, none, so they must go and go they have.
Now (if it ever stops raining), I can tend my veg patch without the buzzing gits in my hair.
Bees I love and encourage, wasps are the Devils work and must die.

bonj2

Fab Foodie said:
Thanks bonj:biggrin:

But here's the deal.
I hate wasps, with a passion. The little feckers are attracted to me like flies to sh1t. The other week in Belgium, nice warm evenings, good beer and constant wasp attacks. The feckers ruined a pleasant evenings al fresco eating and drinking. Same in my garden, constantly buzzed by the bastard jaspers. So what great service do they provide eh?
AFAIC, none, so they must go and go they have.
Now (if it ever stops raining), I can tend my veg patch without the buzzing gits in my hair.
Bees I love and encourage, wasps are the Devils work and must die.

ah ok so they don't provide you a *service*, so therefore they must DIE.
I'm sure there's lots of other animals you could apply that to. HOrses for one.
;)

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

bonj said:
ah ok so they don't provide you a *service*, so therefore they must DIE.
I'm sure there's lots of other animals you could apply that to. HOrses for one.
;)

Mmmm Horse... Mmmm. Yep, horsey tastes goooood.
Actually bonj, I'd be happy for wasps to go about their waspy activities if they didn't interfere with me, my food, my beer, my sunny evening, my pootling in the veg patch and kept out of my house.
Don't get me started on cats...

Other than that, I'm pretty much 'at one' with the animal kingdom.

Top Bottom