Foreign Place Names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
If you visit Innsbruck in Austria, and want to visit the northern part of Italy, some towns have two names.

Bozen or Bolzano - ok

Vitipino has another name, does anyone know what it is? (I don't)

Also Domodossola has a different name if you are in Switzerland. Does anyone know the other name?

Carwash

Señor Member
Speicher said:
If you visit Innsbruck in Austria, and want to visit the northern part of Italy, some towns have two names.

Same is true in Finland - many places have names in both Finnish and Swedish.

Helsinki - Helsingfors
Turku - Åbo
etc

Maz

Guru
alecstilleyedye said:
i was watching the women's tt yesterday, when a spanish lady with a very long surname came up to the line with a non-competitive time, hugh porter just referred to her as "the spanish rider".
Ah. You mean María González-Fernandez-Quiros-Sanchez-Murcillo-Gutierrez.
"María", to her mates! ;)

Keith Oates

Janner
A long time ago when I first travelled by road from Rotterdam to Amsterdam I kept seeing signs for 'Den Hague' and wondered why I hadn't seen that name before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dayvo

just passin' through
Years ago, when I was hitching around West Germany, and before I knew any German, I thought that 'Ausfahrt' was a bloody large city as there were signs for it everywhere! :eek:

Brains

Legendary Member
The classic place for confusion is

Aachen, Aix-la-Chapelle, Aken, Aquis Granum, Oche, Aquisgrán, Aix, Oochen, Axhe

It's a city in the Belgian/Dutch/German border, so no only does each nation have a different name for the city, the Belgans have French, Flemish and Waloon as lanugages.

If you drive on the motorway between Calais and Cologne (or is that Koln?) the city changes names every few miles as you pass through the different language areas.

dragon72

Guru
I seem to remember from when I lived in Norway, that, with very few exceptions (eg Tyskland for Germany), Norwegian is very respectful to foreign place names in that they say Roma, Lisboa, London etc. instead of bastardising.

Dayvo

just passin' through
dragon72 said:
I seem to remember from when I lived in Norway, that, with very few exceptions (eg Tyskland for Germany), Norwegian is very respectful to foreign place names in that they say Roma, Lisboa, London etc. instead of bastardising.

Indeed!
And apart from the Greeks, Norway is the only country AFAIK that calls Greece 'Hellas'.

snorri

Legendary Member
Keith Oates said:
A long time ago when I first travelled by road from Rotterdam to Amsterdam I kept seeing signs for 'Den Hague' and wondered why I hadn't seen that name before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks as if the signmaker was having an off day, it should have read Den Haag;)

Brains

Legendary Member
snorri said:
Looks as if the signmaker was having an off day, it should have read Den Haag;)

In the Netherlands the sign would have read " 's-Gravenhage " that being the correct local spelling of the place we call "The Hague" aka Den Haag

Top Bottom