Forget Kylie - ColinJ Completely Naked (and running faster than Usain Bolt)!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Don't worry - this thread is everything without photos! :biggrin:

I went out for a ride on Saturday evening and took in a nice selection of local hills. It wasn't a long ride, only 25 miles, but I made an effort to climb the hills faster than I normally do to pack as much into the ride as I could.

I was feeling pretty tired when I got back so I decided to treat myself to a nice long soak in the bath. Very relaxing it was too, so much so that I dozed off for about 15 minutes. Eventually, I woke up and decided to wash my hair and leaned forward with a plastic jug in my hands to fill with fresh hot water from the tap...

Some sort of Time Dilation Effect then took place! In the course of about 150 milliseconds I went from sitting relaxed in the bath to running downstairs naked screaming F**K, F**K, F**K!!!

When I'd turned the hot water tap on, there was a deafening 'water hammer', the like of which I'd never heard before. It sounded like a team of miners were attempting to knock my bathroom wall down with pickaxes. This was closey followed by a strange whooshing noise, then vast amounts of scalding steam erupted from the tap, blasting boiling rust-coloured water into the jug and knocking it from my hands. :biggrin:

I got out of there so quickly that I was halfway down the stairs before I could even think. Then I paused, and decided to go back and turn the tap off.

It already was like a bloody sauna in there and my heart was beating like a drum. I hadn't a clue what had just happened. I had to wrap a towel round the tap to turn it off because it was too hot to touch. Eventually I shut off the steam and water and stood there dripping and shaking, and then I saw what the problem was... The water heater gas jets were still burning away merrily even though the water wasn't running! The gas valve had obviously stuck open so the water in the water heater had been heated to boiling point while I was asleep in the bath.

I turned the gas supply off and was standing next to the water heater when I heard another strange noise, this time a kind of fizzing. The next moment, water started spraying out of the joint where the cold water inlet was attached to the heater. Cue another naked sprint down the stairs yelling expletives... If anybody had been passing my back yard at the time they'd have seen a big naked man running around my kitchen searching for the stop cock***. Fortunately, there was no-one about.

All in all, I had a very narrow escape. I could have got some terrible burns from all that steam and boiling water but it missed me by inches. There was also an obvious risk of the boiler exploding if I'd not woken up when I did. I even managed to turn the water supply off before any major water damage was done, just a few stains on the wall and a pile of soggy towels.

And the moral of today's little story is - Make sure that you have your gas appliances serviced regularly folks!

*** As an aside - there is a firm of female plumbers in the area who go by the brilliant name of Stop Cocks! :smile:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Thanks for that, Colin. I've got an image in my head now I can't seem to shake off!

No, it's still there.

And still there....

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

PaulB said:
Thanks for that, Colin. I've got an image in my head now I can't seem to shake off!

No, it's still there.

And still there....
Yeah, not a pretty sight... :laugh:

Headgardener said:
P.S. How good are the female plumbers.
I don't know. I doubt that they would actually turn down money from male customers, but I think that they mainly cater for Hebden Bridge's big lesbian community (er, that's a big community of lesbians, as opposed to a community of big lesbians :biggrin:).

scots_lass said:
Are you going to stick to showers from now on????????
Unfortunately, I don't have a shower in the house. When I first moved here I thought that it would probably be a short-term thing so I didn't bother spending any money improving the place. 2 decades later, I'm still here, thinking how I've missed out on 20 years of showering... (Don't worry - I had baths instead!)

I'm really skint and I don't have a maintenance plan on the heater so it looks like I'm back to boiling kettles until one or more of my money-making schemes pays off. :blush:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Colin, you had a narrow escape from a very nasty and painful injury.

Go on to DIYnot.com and explain what happened on the plumbing section. make sure you give as much info as possible about the heater and the installation; there are some experienced plumbers on there who will tell you the cheapest way to get it sorted.

redjedi

Über Member
Lisa21 said:
FAF tho!!! :thumbsup::rofl:;):rofl::blush::rofl:

:ohmy: Ok that's got me. I had just got used to "LOL" and "ROFL" but what's "FAF"?
Fall about......farting?

Bad luck Colin. Hope you get it fixed soon.

Go for a ride and make yourself feel better.....on second thoughts you better do something that doesn't work up a sweat xx(

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Rigid Raider said:
Colin, you had a narrow escape from a very nasty and painful injury.
I scalded a small patch of my arm once and that was very painful so I'm aware of just how bad this could have been... :wacko:

Rigid Raider said:
Go on to DIYnot.com and explain what happened on the plumbing section. make sure you give as much info as possible about the heater and the installation; there are some experienced plumbers on there who will tell you the cheapest way to get it sorted.
I fixed the leaking cold water straight afterwards. I got a big adjustable spanner and tightened the nut on the compression joint about a third of a turn. It must have only just been done up tight enough not to leak before the whole system got pressurised with steam.

I think it cost me £60 to get the pressure sensor fixed about 7 or 8 years ago so I imagine that it would be £100+ now.

I fixed the heater once before when the pilot light packed up. The jet had become blocked AND the sensor that detects if the pilot light is working had also failed. I think messing about with the main gas valve is probably a step too far though (even forgetting any legal ramifications).

I will take a look on DIYnot.com - thanks.

Top Bottom