Four times over the legal limit and escapes prison.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Disgusting. An alcohol problem does not have anything to do with it. Plenty of alcoholics don't get in a vehicle and nearly kill someone

D

Deleted member 26715

The sentence was lenient but what is the correct sentence?

However, the judge refused to send Jones to prison, instead imposing a one-year prison sentence, suspended for two years.
Jones was ordered to carry out 250 hours of unpaid work and was disqualified from driving for two years, after which he will have to undergo a test to get his licence.

Not sending him to prison is correct, but should be tagged, complete ban on entering a pub, complete ban on drinking alcohol, total life ban on driving, never mind work in the community, how about supporting the family's life he has shattered.

Last edited by a moderator:
No prison is right, but the other sanctions are not enough, loss of licence, no retake if has drunk alcohol, also enhanced/extended test. Roll on alcohol testers in car

Alex321

Veteran
No prison is right, but the other sanctions are not enough, loss of licence, no retake if has drunk alcohol, also enhanced/extended test. Roll on alcohol testers in car

The two parts I have bolded are incompatible. The second should be the case, but I'm not sure it will. He will though fall into the "high risk" category, and will have to pass a medical test before he can apply for a new licence.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-disqualifications/disqualification-for-drink-driving

Who has an afternoon boozing, then thinks it's OK to get in a vehicle ?

I know one now dead football club owner who used to leave a local pub on match day and drive off. That's despite barely being able to walk. Struggling to get get his car keys into his Bentley. Then after dropping them several times and nearly falling over when picking them up, he got into his large, luxurious car and drove off. If it wasn't for his personalised numberplate he'd definitely get stopped. With the plates no local copper dared to stop him. He was a local hero and untouchable in the town.

I know this because I lived 3 houses down from his daughter who he visited before going to the pub and the match. He was a tax exile who could only visit the UK 90 days a year I think and they all coincided with match day for his club.

I think there's many who still drive over the limit and aiui that figure is increasing.

Interesting source. A legal practise, right? Not saying they're wrong but iirc over the last few years, admittedly before pandemic, there were more than a few news reports about how the incidence of driving under the influence of drink or drugs has been increasing after the drop caused by changing acceptance levels of it in society.

Of course incidence isn't the same as successful enforcement. A lot of incidents would never get reported or identified.

No expert like most on here but if you're interested in going to the data in such matters I think it's always better going to the source data not secondhand reports of the data. Like I do and others on here it seems.

There's a guy on another forum I visit who's a past master at going to the source data. I think of him as the forum librarian / chief researcher. Never seen him quote a questionable source ever.

Alex321

Veteran
Interesting source. A legal practise, right? Not saying they're wrong but iirc over the last few years, admittedly before pandemic, there were more than a few news reports about how the incidence of driving under the influence of drink or drugs has been increasing after the drop caused by changing acceptance levels of it in society.

Of course incidence isn't the same as successful enforcement. A lot of incidents would never get reported or identified.

No expert like most on here but if you're interested in going to the data in such matters I think it's always better going to the source data not secondhand reports of the data. Like I do and others on here it seems.

There's a guy on another forum I visit who's a past master at going to the source data. I think of him as the forum librarian / chief researcher. Never seen him quote a questionable source ever.

They cite their sources, which I have looked at, and which are the official government figures.

Their summary is much easier to read than the spreadsheets on the government site, which is why I posted that link rather than the data source.

Slick

Guru
Plenty of golfers do - going by the number I see boozing in the club house in Prestatyn, and all their cars are parked outside !

I would love to say that just isn't true and for the longest time, I probably would have tried to argue that it isn't. Unfortunately after becoming house convener, I know different. The curse of knowing too much.

Top Bottom