Free Cycling GPS for Android Phone with Turn by Turn Voice Navigation using GPX files

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

emulsifier12

Here is some software called OsmAnd, for your Android phone that uses turn by turn navigation from GPX files. You create a GPX file (custom cycle route) and then it uses your GPS to follow that route with turn by turn navigation by voice and on screen display.

I struggled to find a free program that does voice navigation of GPX files. There are many programs that can record and track your ride and create GPX files from your rides, but none that can use the GPX file to give you turn by turn navigation by voice. It allows you to download the maps and gpx files and use them 'offline'. No need for expensive data costs. Below are some instructions on how to install and configure it. I hope that my instructions below are accurate and will help you. Let me know if I need to add or change anything. I thought I would post this in know how section as it explains how to install and setup the software.

OsmAnd (Open Source Maps for Android) version 0.7.1
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmand&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd
or
http://www.appbrain.com/app/osmand/net.osmand
1. Install OsmAnd via Android's Play Store. I also installed 'OsmAnd Voice Import' and 'OsmGpxUploader'
2. Download offline maps. Click on settings, offline data, download and click on europe to expand and then on the UK map, GB england europe (zip) Map 290mb. Set the software to use offline vector maps under settings, map configuration and tick offline vector maps.
3. Download a voice, use the same menu from settings, offline data and click on download and browse the voices. I have used a TomTom voice called 'tim loud' that I downloaded from a 3rd party website. Change the voices under settings, navigation and voice guidance. You can test the voice under settings, general settings and test voice prompts.
4. Register on http://ridewithgps.com/, create a route, make sure that the start and end are near to each other but not the same spot (do not overlap) as the software (OsmAnd) gets confused with looped routes.Save the route and then download the GPS file to your phone.
5. Create a folder in the OsmAnd folder on your SD card under OsmAnd called tracks (sdcard/osmand/tracks.
Copy your 3rd party downloaded voices into the voices folder.
Copy your .GPX file you exported from RidewithGPS into the tracks folder.

Activate / Turn on your phones GPS.

Open OSMAND.
Click on your menu button on the black part of screen, (mine is the one with 4 lines, between home and the back button), this brings up a load of options,
1. click on define view, tick the boxes you want, for me it was GPX track, overlay and underlay map. then back to the top of the screen, click on Map Source... choose offline vector maps. (the ones you downloaded earlier will be used).
Now to navigate.
2.click on menu button again and click on directions, gpx route and choose your gpx file. Click on tick boxes, I chose use current destination and pass along entire track.

Then let it navigate for you.

Hey thanks for this, have been looking all morning for a turn - by - turn app. This will save me having to stop and check my phone every T junction to see if I am still on the route I had planned!

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
This is amazing! Thanks for this! Only trouble is that the free version is limited to five downloads. But, hey, should you need more, then the full version only costs as much as a pint in the pub. Now all I need is a reliable way to recharge while on the bike and then everything's sorted.
Thanks for taking the trouble to write these really clear intructions.

Hawk

Veteran
This is amazing! Thanks for this! Only trouble is that the free version is limited to five downloads. But, hey, should you need more, then the full version only costs as much as a pint in the pub. Now all I need is a reliable way to recharge while on the bike and then everything's sorted.
Thanks for taking the trouble to write these really clear intructions.

I use this, entirely reliable thus far

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet®-Dual-Port-Universal-Ericsson-Blackberry/dp/B000UH46YY

Jimmy Doug

Cheers for that linky. I was really thinking of getting one of these. How many charges do you get? How long does it take to charge the thing itself? Trouble is, when I'm touring I often have to leave things to charge in the bathroom of the camp site - so an 8 hour charge time is a bit risky (it'd get nicked).

Hawk

Veteran
Cheers for that linky. I was really thinking of getting one of these. How many charges do you get? How long does it take to charge the thing itself? Trouble is, when I'm touring I often have to leave things to charge in the bathroom of the camp site - so an 8 hour charge time is a bit risky (it'd get nicked).

It's 7000mAh if that means anything. My phone battery is around 1500mAh so I get 4-5 charges.

You are right, it's an 8 hour charge time though. Possibly still better than having to leave your actual phone in the bathroom on charge anyway?

Jimmy Doug

Yeah, you've got a point there actually! Cheers for the info - think I'll get myself one. But I reckon a dynamo charge system would be great. I've looked into this, but haven't had much joy. There's a company that used to do one that has now folded, and Nokia does one for their phones - but that's it.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
soon as the postie brings me android htc hd s i'm trying this out! Thanks mate.

stumpy66

Veteran
My mate used one to charge his garmin and iphone and it lasted the week when we were away

defy-one

I have just found a free sat nav app called "nav free"
A little bit of lag when used in the car, will try it on the bike and advise. It is completely free though and no messing with files. Also has versions for several countries

Sent from my GT-I9100

Jimmy Doug

I just wanted to give you a bit of feedback. I've had the chance to play around with this osmand and all I can say is - WOW! It really is the business! I'm so glad I found this thread! It didn't occur to me that there might be something that works better, much better, than MapDroyd - but it does! I cycled round my area today, and gave it a real test. I found that it could navigate me perfectly on little lanes that I'd got lost on - and it could also plot a course to any point AND it was cycle-friendly (ie a different route from the car one that passes on a dangerous road). It also searches for things like food shops, camp sites, and a whole host of things and helps you to navigate to them. All this WITHOUT Internet! Incredible! This is going to be the first mobile phone application I've ever bought.
I can also report that I'm thrilled with the TechNet rechargeable battery. So glad I got it. All in all, these are two additions to my touring kit this year that are going to make a big difference to my ride.

Danny91

Just installing this now - my question is though how do you guys listen to it? Do you use headphones or the loud speaker.

Also - do you just keep your phone in your pocket or have you bought a mount for it?

Hawk

Veteran
Just installing this now - my question is though how do you guys listen to it? Do you use headphones or the loud speaker.

Also - do you just keep your phone in your pocket or have you bought a mount for it?

What I might do when I'm back is record my own voice pack and set up a system where different easily distinguishable noises are played for each instruction, along with extra clear and repeating voice alerts. This would mean the problem of not quite making out what is being said a bit less of an issue.

I use loudspeaker and mount it on my handlebars. I managed to make a waterproof holder designed to go round a runner's arm fit on my bars with some work. Means I can have a quick look at lights or stop and immediately see where I'm going next.

Top Bottom