Freeview box freezes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
The picture from my Freeview box freezes, I have to turn it off and back on again.
I tried another Freeview box and got the same problem. I've checked all the connections, etc.
Is it worth upgrading to a new TV or is this down to poor reception?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What is the reception like?

There should be a menu setting that lets you see an indication of signal quality. My Freeview box shows signal level and signal quality. My signal mostly ranges from Good to Very Good. I use an indoor aerial and it is fine most of the time, but sometimes large vehicles passing can cause glitches. That does not happen often because I live on a quiet residential street.

Once every few months, the box freezes and I have to reset it.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
My Freeview signal is awful, we're stuck with one bounced off a relay rather than direct from the transmitter. It was down most of the day yesterday and I could not do without the Freesat box on the main TV. They ought to get their fingers out and sort it so everyone gets a good signal.

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
What is the reception like?

There should be a menu setting that lets you see an indication of signal quality. My Freeview box shows signal level and signal quality. .

Mine ranges from 6-7, if that's out of 10 then I suppose it's reasonable. I suppose there might be local interference, quite often I can't get a mobile phone or broadband signal.

I wish they'd just kept broadcasting the analog signal, I'd rather have occasional interference than this.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
The picture from my Freeview box freezes, I have to turn it off and back on again.
I tried another Freeview box and got the same problem. I've checked all the connections, etc.
Is it worth upgrading to a new TV or is this down to poor reception?
Is one (or both) made by Goodmans? I've had to return two of these because of freezing - sometimes 5 times in as many minutes!
Now using a refurbished Tvonics box bought off Ebay for £14.75 inc p&p, which is miles better, touch wood. Occasionally freezes when browsing news via red button, quite possibly when this is being updated, but I can live with that, as it just needs changing to another channel then back again. Such a shame that Tvonics went bust a couple of years ago; a good product, actually designed and made in Wales.

byegad

Legendary Member
Yes we had a Goodmans that froze now and again, the 'new' one is a Sony DTR and it has frozen a couple of times in 2 years of use.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Um.....upgrading to a new tv can't make any difference. It's not the tv that's the problem. A new freeview box might well help - they do differ quite a lot. I'd suggest trying a Humax off ebay - one like this should do you - look to pay no more than about £25 including delivery. You'll still get the occasional freeze, but generally speaking the Humax's are reckoned to be the best of a generally pretty flakey technology.

Top Bottom