FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - 25th June to Felpham, near Bognor Regis 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Adam B
Adrian C
Adrian C (the second)
Adrian M
Adrian M (another one)
Adrian R
Alan B
Alan L
Andrew B
Andrij B
Andy C
Andy M
Anna H
Anton B
Barry J
Ben P
Bob M
Brian M
Brian P
Catherine F
Charlotte B
Charles L
Chris B
Chris F
Chris H
Claudine C
Clive B
Dan P
Dan W
David R
Dominic A
Duncan H
Els V
Fiona A
Geoffrey S
Graham H
Greg C
Iain C
Ian A
Jane D
Jeff T
John E
Jules H
Jules H+1
User10571 B
Kats I
Luke C
Marilyn B
Mark G
Mark S
Martin F
Matthew F
Matthew S
Mick D
Naomi B
Neil G
Nikki A
Paul McN
Paul R
Peter M
Peter S
Pippa G
Rimas G
Ross C
Sean B
Stu A
Stuart G
Susie F
Thom F
Tim H
Tim O
Titus +1
Titus H
Tom R

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the weather forecast looks very, very good, although Bognor will remain cool all Saturday. Minimum temperature in Horsham will, we're told, be 15 degrees, and it will be over 20 degrees by the time we get to Arundel.

dellzeqq said:
Adam B
Adrian C
Adrian C (the second)
Adrian M
Adrian M (another one)
Adrian R
Alan B
Andrew B
Andrij B
Andy C
Andy M
Anna H
Anton B
Barry J
Ben P
Bob M
Brian M
Catherine F
Charlotte B
Chris B
Chris F
Chris H
Claudine C
Clive B
Dan P
Dan W
Daniel P
David R
Dominic A
Duncan H
Els V
Fiona A
Geoffrey B S
Graham H
Greg C
Iain C
Ian A
Jane D
Jeff T
John E
Jules H
User10571 B
Kats I
Luke C
Marilyn B
Mark G
Mark S
Martin F
Matthew F
Matthew S
Mick D
Naomi B
Neil G
Nikki A
Paul McN
Paul R
Peter M
Peter S
Pippa G
Rimas G
Ross C
Sean B
Stu A
Stuart G
Susie F
Thom F
Tim H
Tim O
Titus +1
Titus H
Tom R

Et voila! (Dinky typeface but...) :tongue:

dellzeqq said:
the weather forecast looks very, very good, although Bognor will remain cool all Saturday. Minimum temperature in Horsham will, we're told, be 15 degrees, and it will be over 20 degrees by the time we get to Arundel.[/QUOTE
5 'degrees' and above will be warm enough..after breakfast. Served chilled.

TimO

Guru
marinyork said:
Could someone put up a gpx or more or less accurate description of the route so I can input it onto my GPS for the ride back please? I may need it incase I'm on my own. Many thanks.

You can download a GPX from the GPSies link I posted a page or two back.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
marinyork said:
Could someone put up a gpx or more or less accurate description of the route so I can input it onto my GPS for the ride back please? I may need it incase I'm on my own. Many thanks.
If you're cycling back then the route down is both too quick and too slow. Too slow, because we go round the houses in search of beauty, and the avoidance of hills, and too quick because the A24 on a Saturday is not clever.

I'd go up the A29, then branch off at Weare Street, cross the A24 and then go through Capel and Newdigate and then head past Henfold Lakes (a very decent stop) before branching right toward Pixham - doing a right left across the A25 before joining the A24, staying on the cycle path on the right hand side, and then going through Mickleham. Cross the A24 and go right on the cycle path beside the road and then on to Leatherhead, and then turn right - it's a bit of a wiggle through Leatherhead, but you should aim to rejoin the A24 which, by this time, has quietened down a bit. Take care going through Ashtead and Epsom - it's a well known fact that the entire populations of these two towns are on strong narcotics, and their driving is as you'd expect.

zigzag

Veteran
marinyork said:

hi, i have let google maps to create the route (felpham to c.london _walking_). that gives pretty much straight line to london ~64mi, then upload it to gps. i'll be glad if there is a group of us cycling back to london. see you all tonight!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Andrij said:
I volunteer for TEC duties.
cool

Graham H, Tim H, Chris B and Alan L for the first portion - and User10571 and Pippsy will relieve any of you who get bored. Andrij, Adam and one other after Faygate. I am confidently predicting no punctures. Says the man who forgot to put his money on Argentina.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I can't speak for the route north of Epsom to the smoke but I'd go with Dell's recommendation as far north as Newdigate and then from Newdigate go Parkgate - Betchworth - The Hermitage - Walton on the Hill - Tadworth - Tattenham Corner - Epsom. Yes, one very large hill to climb but a hugely satisfying one to conquer and so much more pleasant on country lanes than the A24 cycle path which exposes one's ears to the banshee wails of 'sports' motorcycle exhausts of a weekend.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Adam B
Adrian C
Adrian C (the second)
Adrian M
Adrian M (another one)
Adrian R
Alan B