FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Cardiff to Swansea 20th May 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Agreed, because it works so well almost all of the time. But since it is being discussed, the best way you have dealt with it in the past is to nominate a chef de TEC and to introduce that person by sight to all potential waymarkers, otherwise known as everyone. That way they all know the one person to look for and the one person knows to make sure they are seen and to communicate

For anyone in advance of the TEC group, the practice of telling waymarkers how many to come and how far back they are is a good one as well. Anything to reassure people that they haven't been abandoned is all to the good.
there's a very good reason why I don't do that, and I'll tell you about it some time........

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think for a rolling block to work over any sort of distance you'll need comunication between the front and the back ,with the back calling the shots.
it is really not going to work. When we did it on the A23 we had a briefing beforehand, the front of the ride set off at a moderate pace, Adrian and I stayed at the back and I attempted to hurry the slower riders along - and still we had three or four riders messing around, slowing down and checking their panniers and that kind of nonsense. If I recall aright Adrian and I just jumped ahead of one chap and left him to his own devices, so that we could look after the main bulk of the ride.

It is all I can do to get people out of the halfway stop. One of these days I'm just going to say to myself 'soddit' and we're going to head off without somebody. And I reckon I know who that somebody will be.......

frank9755

Cyclist
they were instantly at ease when Clive told his story about his S&M holidays in Albi... which I'm sure he would be happy to expand upon in future posts :rolleyes:

I read this yesterday and thought 'usual 'Teef nonsense' or something similar....

...then, for some reason, my computer flicked to the front of the thread and I saw this

We have the train tickets, so please add Marilyn and me. And we're ready to obey Claudine...

It seemed like an innocent remark at the time, but its amazing what a bit of context will do to fuel the rumours...

Wobblers

Euthermic
Well that was a ride and a half!

The first surprise of the night was being distracted from my book by two cyclists getting on at Chepstow, seeing the impressive array of lights, wondering if they were doing the FNRttC and then realising it was Flying Dodo and Mistral. The second surprise was spotting Team Dellzeqq walking past our carriage just as we got off - and then acting as if we'd planned it that way all along!

Then onwards, taking in along the way jeers cheers from Cardiff denizens, some bemused Tesco staff and not to mention that road with its gravel and pothole traps: it wouldn't be out of place in Worcestershire's Finest. I managed to watch the rear of the ride go past me whilst waymarking at Llantwit - err, I mean, Flying Dodo and Frank hatched a cunning plan to leave me behind. After... ahem, some time I finally cottoned on the fact that no one else was coming [1]. It took me a few attempts to get through to Dell - who said he'd cycle back to meet me. Chapeau! I finally met up with Dell and John P at Monknash - but not before stopping to admire the sight of the moon reflecting off the sea. That was special: 'Teef's photo doesn't do it justice. Next time, Dell, I promise to find a less lumpy bit of the ride before fluffing it...

We (finally!) made it to the halfway stop, and if the coffee was a little slow in coming, that was more than compensated for by the welcome. And the chocolate cake was rather good too.

The sight of Port Talbot in the dawn had a certain industrial brutalist charm but the beach path was a joy. As was breakfast and the pub afterwards.

Amazingly I didn't get lost finding Swansea station - and it only started to rain just as I got there. It was that sort of ride.

Now for the important bit: I've got the £18 remaining from the kitty for Whitstable. And if anyone's missing a hi-viz yellow ankle strap, I've found it so give me a shout.

I think it was all a bit of a success. I’ve got some nice e-mails from some of the first-times, and people looked happy enough at the end. I can’t see us not doing it again in 2012.

Why wait until next year? ;)

[1] You should have seen the looks I got from the few locals that were still about at that time!

Edit: I haven't thanked Dell or TC for all their hard work in making the ride work yet, have I? Well, thanks Dellzeqq and TC for such a spendiferous ride!

Apparently Martin has friends in Albi and I mentioned that I had been there many years ago. Martin was intrigued by the Albigensian heresy but seemed to think that it referred to a manoeuvre that had been missed out of the Kama Sutra. I think his head may have been turned the day before and he was imagining lithesome young women on wings. Here he is trying to sort it all out:

IMG_0593.JPG

IMG_0588.JPG

It was indeed a great ride and many thanks to Claudine for setting it up. I have many memories - in particular the sight of the moon and the sea.

A few more pics here:
Wales

See you all soon.

I'm fairly sure that is exactly how you described it, Clive; I still have the diagrams somewhere! Anyway, I thought Albigensian violet was a preparation Davy uses from time to time, on his "64/54" s - as mentioned in the 'Pre-ride' debrief.
I'm sure that the Welsh couple sharing your table exchanged a quick glance when you mentioned your penchants...

Other things I have learned since last Friday:
Andrij was decent enough to offer me sharpeners of Connemara Irish Whiskey, a 'soft' Laphroaig taste - thanks Andrij - it was exactly the right taste at the right time, and now it's on the list!
That Davy looks better in sleeves - the 'Fame' look doesn't quite work. However, the goose pimples at a breezy lunchtime did give some definition...
That cyclepath around the Bay is just how I remembered it. Only faster! The young chap with me, on the Specialized (another coercee via a friend of Claudine :rolleyes:) was a fair rider against the wind. He was happy to play 'speed up' on the approach, as there was a hefty bunch of chasing bunnies sheltering behind us, avoiding the buffeting breeze! Good fun. Who 'won'?
Eat when the opportunity arises. Frank and I passed at least two late nighters on the Cardiff approach, but we sort of decided to get to the Centre and then grab something. Pah! (© Claudine) Thank goodness for Tescos hot food display at the 6 mile p stop.
Dick Lovett is a BMW dealer in the South West area.
Durano Plus tyres gave me a reassurance missing from recent rides.
There is never enough time in the day. (Well, I knew that already but...)
Malmesbury seems a nice place to live.
Marcus brought the Northern jersey for CC ers to sign. I didn't sign it, did you? Who took a photo of the thing, or someone signing it? I want to see the green glow radiating from it.
I'm sure there's more.

Edited: Sure there's more. Never trust Adrian when he writes something. He may or may not be economical with the truth.

frank9755

Cyclist
Marcus brought the Northern jersey for CC ers to sign. I didn't sign it, did you?
I've got it; I shall bring it along to pass on next time!

jonesy

Guru
Ah - the intractable Fabian Way problem. Vast bogs to the North, and what roads there are to the South are verboten. If we do it next year, I shall put some thought into the avoidability or otherwise of the said GSoDC. I don't enjoy the bridge and the sliproad, but I do enjoy the continuation of the fast, flat terrain that characterises the second half of the ride. People (not me) do use the cycle path alongside, but it's a case study in rancid and inferior segregated facilities - indirect, interrupted, littered with all kinds of grot. And you can't really have some of the riders on it and some on the road, because it keeps veering off wildly and you'd need two lots of waymarkers and TECs. You can avoid the bridge and sliproad using the Briton Ferry/Jersey Marine Variation, which is pleasant and flat, but a rather large loop out of the way for dodging only a small part of the offending road, and throws in a dodgy bit of merging from the right. The other options involve both added distance and hills - we made the calculation that this could be deeply unpopular with anyone finding it hard going, made especially cruel because we've been dangling the destination in front of their eyes round flat coast roads for so long. Actually, one of the North loop options is rather picturesque, but there's a clue as to its possible downside in the name Bog Road...

Ah, the GSoDC! I must confess I was flagging somewhat by that point, shameful though that is to admit given the mileage some of our fellow riders had chalked up before even getting to the start! :ohmy: A Brompton is admittedly not the ideal steed for such a ride, and while I'd coped OK on the hills earlier on, and periodic regroupings helped get my breath back, the long flat slog along the GSoDC was rather a struggle! It was also quite depressing to see the state of the nearby NCN route 4... there's a thread in Campaign on the merits or otherwise of segregated routes, but I'm sure most of us that are sceptical would consider major roads like this one to be the sort of places where segregation is appropriate for attracting normal people to cycling, yet it is poorly maintained, and discontinuous and illegible around the junctions; jumping on to the pavement in the outskirts of Port Talbot and Swansea. That said, I make no complaints about the choice of route for the ride: as you say, there are no alternatives that don't involve a very long detour and traffic was still very light. One of the joys of FNRTTC is to be able to make full use of the road network when it isn't clogged with motor vehicles.

StuartG

slower but further
A Brompton is admittedly not the ideal steed for such a ride
Yep - but it was even more fun and interesting than a road bike!

First lessons learnt: Don't wear smooth cycling shoes. Could hardly keep my feet on the pedals which led to all 50 teeth of the chainring leaving a little indentation on my right ankle.

Second lesson learnt: Get a smaller chainring. the 50/13 gives a granny gear of 48 which made a mountain out of each and every molehill. The top 85 top was glorious on the flats and I managed to sail past Dell at one stage not realising he was trying to hold the front back. I was quite rightly put on wayfinding duty. Sorry Dell!

Respect to TC for the route dodging between the lager lout littered roads of Llanwith Major (I thought only our sort of people lived there?), Rhoose airport and some Tatty foundry by the sea. The dual carriageway didn't bother me too much. Perhaps a more disciplined regrouping but then I'm into discipline.

The venue out Whitstabled Whitstable on location, breakfast and price. Wonderful!

But it was as Beerfinder General (aided by A Certain Poster Girl) that TC truly triumphed. That moment when the memories of a glorious ride were about to be dashed. Even our glorious leader showed signs of utter panic and despair. And the sight of Des casually rolling up the hill was sweet.

Thanks again Claudine - and I did beat your estimate to the the Bus Station by a whole 10 minutes - aided by the wind and a bulging bladder! 20p for a pee! But with a toilet-less 4 hours on a bus ahead one has to compromise ...

Wobblers

Euthermic
I can illustrate this without too much difficulty. Twenty or thirty miles from the beginning of the ride (there are variations, but, in general, just about any ride) we get in to a set routine. Stop and wait for the tail-enders to catch up. I set off at a moderate speed, trying to keep the ride bunched. This works for about two miles. Then some of the faster riders go past, then some more, but they don't break away - for another couple of miles. Then they simply go for it, and, after a while, I think 'they'll miss the turn' engage the big gear, get to the front, and call a halt. Six miles for the entire cycle. give or take. What I try and do is to call the stops at points where I think I can control the ride a little - Lindfield is a good example, and one that happens now almost automatically.

There's a rule in my club for club runs:

It is considered Bad Form to overtake the ride leader

Would it be useful to have that as a FNRttC rule, with a little gentle reminding whenever needed? (Though perhaps I shouldn't draw attention to the fact that I was one of those who rocketed off with Claudine and Co as we were leaving Cardiff :whistle:)

Wobblers

Euthermic
This isn't meant to be a general criticism, as it's more me speaking out aloud so that I'm aware of things to consider next time*. For instance poor McWobble getting left behind which I think must have been due to me drifting in front of 4 or 5 people, so it could have been a new rider at the very back. Even though this was a smaller ride, there were a lot of people unused to the routine whilst for the last Brighton ride, 130 riders clearly brings other issues.

There wouldn't have been a problem if I'd been paying attention, and spotted you going past. But that's why we have Dell's phone number. The main issue for me was the patchy coverage meant it took some time before I was able to get through to him.

Top Bottom