FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Southend-on-Sea May 4th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cracking ride last night, and a quick slightly wet SMRbtH.
Photo0234s.jpg

More laters

BigGee

Well my second Southend run after last december and so consequently the first one when I could see the sights and was not frozen within an inch of my life.

If I think back about initailly perusing the list of FNRttC destinations I would have had to say that Southend would have appeared one of the least inspiring. The impression from last night would have to be that it is a ride much better done at this time of year with the shorter nights when its charms are far more obvious.

The sunrise, already pictured, was fantastic, like a turner water colour, probably the best I have ever seen on a night ride. The country lanes in the dawn and the ride along the sea front towards the pier are also fantastic. The halfway stop at Stock surely has to be the best one we do. Friendly faces, mountains of cheap food and plenty of room to spread out and sit down, what more could you ask for. I even got a good view of the windmill this time in the early dawn, which I have missed on both previous occasions through Stock in the dark.

Then of course there is also the visit to the zoo (aka Romford & Brentwood) en route, with its own sights and attractions!

The other attraction of this ride to me is that it is the closest to my house and with no major rivers to cross, the most easily accessible. When I started doing these rides I was gobsmacked that people would even consider riding home afterwards and yet the idea was always seductive and attractive. I don't know if I will ever acheive any of the longer more inaccessible ones but I am pleased that I can now do this one reasonably comfortably now. Even the rain did not put me off this time and I was rewarded by it drying up after an hour and the rest of the ride being quite pleasant.

I did the 44 miles home in just a tad over 3 hours. I was home just after 11 and I doubt if I could have done it a lot quicker than that on the train!

So 109 miles in the bag, a few hours sleep in the tank and a feeling of quiet satisfaction all over me. Role on Whitstable. Can I ride back from there I wonder?

Thanks to Simon for the ride, User10571 for rescuing me and everyone else for the company. Another great night.

U

User10571

A very fine ride that was.
Romford, last night you clearly excelled yourself at being a zoo. For this, we salute you. And if you were a seal, we'd throw you a piece of fish.
With minimal precipitation, and maximum joy, the roads which immediately followed the well-catered-by-the-Tulley-family half way stop, seemed like they were made in heaven, so I found it very hard to resist stretching my legs at that point. Lovely, lovely, lovely - with the above pictured sunrise as a reward at the end of the road. What's not to like?
Breathtaking.
We arrived for breakfast at exactly the same time as the rains did. The Rose Restaurant's usual fare did not disappoint and was followed by a damp squib of a journey up a deserted Southend High Street to the station and the train home.
I snatched a couple of hours kip before climbing onto the fixer and heading out to Balfe's Bikes in Kennington where they were having a bike jumble - but the person I was trying to catch had already left. So onward to Look Mum Nobody Here to see how the post FNRttC re-hydration contingent were faring - only to find that they weren't - or that they'd finished. So back home via the hell that is Tesco in the Old Kent Road. Legs now feeling it after a good night's ride in very fine company. Thank you Dellzeqq, and all others who made the ride what it was.:smile:

EDIT: I love the bit where we eschew the hideousness of the A118 in favour of the placid serenity of Whalebone Lane North and Crow Lane which runs parallel to the A118, with all it's drug smuggling and gun running (allegedly) bungalows and villas, to Romford.

EDIT 2: Oh, and also, I love my bike.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Thanks everyone for a lovely night. What wonderful company you all are. That was special. A memorable cases of 'So slow, quick, QUICK. So?' How much organisation does it take, what sort of high-tech gizmo's are needed, to time the arrival at breakfast just before the rains arrived?

Those good people in Stock, surely they should charge more? Those not so good people in Romford obviously like featuring in their own version of "Police! Cameras! Action!" of a Friday Night Ruck down the Town FNRdtC. Some of the Essex lanes are up there with the finest I've ridden, some of the Essex cycle lanes the dumbest I've seen.

LMNH was tempting but so is the lovely Helen and I knew she was would be worrying about me once she woke up, and before she went to sleep, so home I went. Just about to start rehydration in earnest with some restorative Fullers London Porter.

The perfect reintroduction to real cycling after my off. Thanks again.

ladyjulian

Fabulous ride, thanks all - and especially thanks to Butterfly for drugging me. Those of you who've seen my witchy arms will know I'm hypermobile, & this is now affecting my knees rather badly - so like a total idiot I didn't bring any painkillers because I was fine last week. Doh.

Anyway, once drugged, the knees were vastly improved and I was able to mostly stoke even up the hills, which was good because this was Charlotte's first ride innawhile and the deal was meant to be that I was providing the engine.

The ride out through East London is always comically grim, as though you're on the set of 'Stenders crossed with Police Camera Action, and to my huge delight there was a REAL POLICE CHASE in Brentford, although the police returned from the alleyway minus any crim, so I guess they missed him. (On the ride home from Fenchurch Street there was another, albeit less dramatic. Full moon or football cup weekend?)

The slopes before Stock were a bit painful, but once in the town hall and eating rolls and ibruprofen all was well. The people at the hall seemed as haloed angels of carbohydrate, although that might have been the glow from fifty front lights. Simon, here is a link to the immigration news I was telling you about. (See, we don't just talk about cake at these events. It's, like, a political hotbed or something.)

The sunrise was absolutely gorgeous; see other people's photos above. I took some but mine don't show the pink as well.

We got down to the seafront and sped along it, Charlotte managed not to deposit both of us into the sea, and then we hit the Rose Cafe about thirty seconds before it bucketed with rain.

We thought about heading to LMNH but in the end the vision of tea and hot showers overcame the beer fairies, so headed straight off home. Next time...

wanda2010

Guru
My best Southend ride so far. I didn't have to navigate the ford, which was a relief as I swim like a dead fish. I can now buy (yet) another front light as the one that jumped for freedom was buried with full honours once the post-mortem was concluded.

I really need to show some self-discipline, although I offloaded any personal responsibility onto willing shoulders. LMNH is a good place to 'rest' after a long ride when it includes very good company. One household chore was completed before severe tiredness stopped movement. The rest will be done tomorrow.

Back to the sofa I go................

Sergeant Pluck

Über Member
Great ride, my first FNRttC in quite some time. Good to see some familiar faces, particularly Charlotte and Julian out on the tandem. Many thanks for all the organisation and pre-ride stressing to all concerned, and to those manning the Stock food stop. That warmth was so welcome when we rolled in! We were so lucky that pissingdown did’t start earlier in the night.

The more of these rides that I do, the more I count my lucky stars that I have been introduced to the FNRttCs. Each one of them is completely unique, the destination may be the same but the getting there is always a real life adventure, the company fantastic, a real party and an absolute privilege to be part of. And I absolutely love riding my bicycle!

I over calculated how much time I had before leaving home and started doing chores before leaving which lead to faffing about. This meant that I was late. :wacko: I wasn't the last but quite ridiculous for me to be late and I have made a big note to stop faffing and just leave earlier next time. The Safety Talk was in full swing with added vocabulary including Water which was the reason the proposed "Flight of the Folders" or rather "Bring your Brommie" Party had been called off as the prospect of 20" wheels whizzing through puddles and Fords that were potentially 36" deep would lead to too many wet feet, slippery brakes and other unnecessary hazards on a group ride. There were three rebels though which is always reassuring! :laugh:

About 80 of us left Hyde Park Corner at midnight with Adrian, Andrij and User10571 leading us eastwards along the embankment out of the City towards Romford. As we headed through Essex there was a fair amount of police activity - at one point they were giving chase on foot with a helicopter above as they tried to round up a group of people for whatever reason.

Later on in Brentwood I was cycling on my own through the main street and a group of youths was walking across the whole width of the road. I began to feel somewhat unamused by this and I was becoming seriously perplexed as to what was going to happen next. About five seconds later, the group parted like the Red Sea as a police vehicle drove down the road towards me, making the group disperse to either side of the road. I was extremely happy to see this.

I volunteered to do some wayfaring and did the junction that I did on the previous Southend ride. Within two minutes a police van arrived alongside, making enquiries as to where we were going. They were suitably impressed and wished us a good night. As I was standing there, some more of the group arrived and despite me indicating they were to turn right, they sat in the left hand lane. Not the plan! So the best I could do was shout "Oi. Right! Please!" and they kindly moved over to the right hand lane. The TECs arrived and I headed off to join the rest of the group. Part of the ride took us through a lane off the main road where I found four cyclists answering calls of nature. Cycling through the Gents? I hardly knew where to look!

As we made our way through the county, the volume and decibel levels had to be heard to be believed. Girls on their nights out wearing not a lot gawping and laughing at us - well we were for the most of us in Lycra so could hardly comment.

Soon we were heading into unlit streets and were sweeping towards Stock - to take stock, obviously! The lanes were fantastic - clearly there were large puddles but only one of us road through a Ford. User10571 was waymarking a turning and I stopped to say hello. We looked back along the route and could make out the s-shaped road as cyclists lights headed towards us. He said that when he first arrived there he had the most fantastic view of seeing nothing but twinkly lights heading towards him. It was quite something, he said. Being further back, the only evidence I had seen were the snake like trails of where tyres in water had painted the proof that they were there. The mud levels were quite high around the Ford - dont tell Ianrauk but my bike needs a clean!

The Stock Stop excelled themselves yet again. One of my most favourite FNRttC Stopsies as the size of the welcoming smiles, assortment of rolls, cups of tea and home made bakewell tart are awesome. 2 cups of tea, a ham and tomato roll and two slices of bakewell tart cost the princely sum of £3. I bumped it up a bit because I felt guilty at paying so little for such a feast and kindness.

Leaving Stock I followed the others as they swooshed away. After a while it seemed rather familiar - we weren't actually swooshing away anywhere, we were doing a loop around the car park to keep warm while a tyre was repaired! A few minutes later, we were away. The sky was changing - the sunrise was quite out of this world. User10571 and Ianrauks photos capture how incredible it was and I am sure there will be others. It was truly magnificent.The noise of the birdsong was also a delight. At one point I saw a pair of Jays which even in the countryside you don't see that often.

We were soon taking in the view of Grain and then heading along the seafront. The tide was out, there were many beached boats sitting in the mud waiting for it to return and we all headed into The Rose Cafe for excellent breakfasting. The owner started taking photos of us all - I realised that if he tried to explain to his mates what his early clientbase looked like, none of them would believe him! Zigzag arrived having done the trip on his own, inhaled a full English breakfast and cycled back home doing the return trip with Ianrauk and RB155.

Martin235 was missing, GregCollins was present. Hope you are back on your wheels very soon Martin. Greg - fab that you have made such a good recovery. User13710 was doublebooked - hope the IOW randonee was a blast. The Claud was with us. Hooray! The FNRttC evolving mixture of marvellous peeps is second to none.

The train back in to Fenchurch Street was Groupsavingly excellent. The Grants headed home, AKA Bob, Andrij and I headed to LMNH. On the way we passed Boris Johnson on his own Boris Bike! His woolly hat was efficient but not exactly Assos! He gave us a wave. He ought to do a Sunday London Ride or an FNRttC to really see how rubbish the cycling structure can be for cyclists.....

LMNH was full of Slags. :wacko: Luckily cappucinos are also available. The banter was brilliant and I could have stayed there all day. I left with DZ and Wanda101, home at 3, bed at 5 for a few hours and then some food.

I say again, being on an FNRttC is an absolute joy - I am on a complete high from it all, the camaraderie, kindness, cyclingness, encouragement to push ourselves as much as we can with humour and indeed hilarity. Thank you DZ and Susie - you have opened the road for us all. My pics are here (and in the immortal words of Mark Grant "Well, Mice your pics are more pot luck than skill") something like that anyway!

https://picasaweb.google.com/108733...&authkey=Gv1sRgCIjZppL3wriDYw&feat=directlink

Mice

Attachments

• On the Road.jpg
    On the Road.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 61
  • Fettling.jpg
    Fettling.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Stocking Up.jpg
    Stocking Up.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Handbags at Dawn.jpg
    Handbags at Dawn.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Dawn.jpg
    Dawn.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Its all about the Beer.jpg
    Its all about the Beer.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 54

TimO

Guru
I think that most of what I saw has been mentioned by someone upthread. It was an amazingly dry FNRttC, considering I had come to the conclusion that it would be wet at some point (ford excluded!) I even wore my overshoes, for the first time in quite a while, and didn't need them!

For variety, my rack collapsed under the weight of my bag, but thanks to TheClaud carrying my bag, and Adrian carrying her bag, and some cable ties (thank!) and eventually a toe strap used to hold the rack together enough to keep it on the bike, and the light pointing rearward rather than at the ground, I was fairly rapidly continuing on the ride, when I was pretty much ready to give up and go home.

For additional variety, I had a puncture at Stock, typically discovered just as I retrieved my bike and was about to leave, and as it turned out got another (in a different location) when leaving LMNH later on. Since dellzeqq had to repair one on his bike just before me at LMNH, I was in good company for the second! Since I had used up both spares on the ride (the first cause hadn't been adequately found, so struck again when the tyre was inflated), I was loaned a spare by another less unfortunate rider (sorry, I've forgotten who, but thanks!). Aperitif lent me a second spare to deal with any more instances, as well as a spare CO2 cart, having used up my last one on dellzeqqs wheel (and pumped mine up using LMNHs pump). I think all the punctures I got were just unfortunate coincidences, although annoying nevertheless. I'll probably replace the front tyre with one of my more puncture resistant stock, the current one is the original not brilliant Continental tyre, as supplied by Planet-X. I'd left it on since you "very rarely" get front wheel punctures! To be fair, it survived an entire years worth of FNRttCs last year, and isn't really noticeably damaged that much, searching for bits, I got to inspect it quite thoroughly, and most of my tyres have more nicks and slits than that one, but I've hit the threshold of tolerance for lack of puncture proofness on those tyres now! (The rear didn't last 100 miles before it was binned with an irreparable slit that caused a bulge)

I don't know if there were many other punctures, since I wasn't TECing this ride, although in repentance for this, I did have a quite long wait at a junction before Stock. Since it was on the route to the closed roads (because of big holes in the road), I didn't see a single car, only quite a lot of cyclists, and got the chance to shout "Low gear, steep(ish) hill and a slippery surface", although I don't recall noticing it being slippery when I went up myself!

As everyone said, the good family Tully at Stock provided fine and cheap nourishment, and the sunrise was quite attractive (see others photos upthread, which don't really do it justice). I bimbled in a bit further towards the rear, using my tried and trusted technique of rambling on about stuff to a rider who was struggling a little on the hills. She did however complete the ride, and she had had to abandon the previous FNRttC, so it was good to see her do OK on this one. :thumbsup:

After a good breakfast, and successfully achieved railway journey, it was back to Look Mum No Hands for rehydration, with quite a number of other riders. We did our normal job of significantly adding to their profits, and occupying a large proportion of the cafe (since most people didn't want to sit outside, even though it clearly wasn't cold!).

As ever thanks to everyone, especially those who carried my stuff, or lent me bits, and dellzeqq for continuing his fine job of providing us with excellent rides.:bravo:

Nice avatar, Stu - it made me smile when I saw it in LookMum yesterday. Are you cycling to the Isle of Wight this morning?
I was totally out of shape for this ride but got a lot from it nevertheless. Southend is an interesting place to explore, gently, on the way in to Chris' Rose Café. The amount of glass in the picture windows of the house, the odd bits and bobs people accumulate in their front gardens and the view if one is lucky enough to have a house on high. The usual suspect - thanks for your company...the new faces - well done, come along again as it's automatic fun, with added extras of your own making.
As ladyjulian mentions above, the crims of Romford were entertainment. Police seemed keen to arrest Mark - as we regrouped in Brentwood - for impersonating a cowboy, and Ian & I saw a great feat of strength being performed along the Romford Road or thereabouts. A sturdy young man was holding up a garden wall all on his own, aided only by much beer I suspect. Two policemen were encouraging him to take a chance and let the wall go...but he seemed to be having none of it! This is nightriding - as much as the sunrises and the weather and the obvious bits and bobs, the whole thing is something to turn up and give something to - and reward will come. (Agree about the lanes on this ride - top class for a leg stretch or two.)
Anyway - I took a few photos of weird stuff - Miranda and Tim, along with others already posted will jog our memories better. My starter for ten:
Southend FNRttC poster.jpg

And the FNR always brings its own official taster, with finely developed taste buds. (Unfortunately this good taste stops at the tip of his tongue, but hey!) Andrew is ever-ready with the waymarking and always happy to be a little Scotch to accompany breakfast.
Southend FNRttC 2012 009small Andrew.jpg

Talking of a little Scotch, there was a tip-top tasting session in progress throughout the evening, with some excellent contributions - thank you to all contributors. Even in a moment of crisis when LMNH wouldn't serve us for ten minutes, there was adequate reserve to calm the collective delerium tremens whilst we awaited Slaghmuylder's bottles to make their pilgrimage to our tables - which were once again 'on the move' - this time inside...:whistle:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
damn! It appears that I am, for the moment, Ms TeeCee. Well, it falls to me to point out that Mr. DeeZee is a thoroughly good egg. Splendid chap. Nice bike too!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Nope, not doing the IOW....after an exceedingly long night's kip I'm not bothering with any major exertion today!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
damn! It appears that I am, for the moment, Ms TeeCee. Well, it falls to me to point out that Mr. DeeZee is a thoroughly good egg. Splendid chap. Nice bike too!

Well, er... quite. He's pretty nifty with the sausages, bacon and eggs, too. Although sadly not much respected by squirrels. I scarcely know who I am anymore...

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Louise is too modest to say this but she wasn't on this ride because she was riding the Brevet Cymru, 400k around Wales with 4,900m of ascent from Chepstow. She had gear troubles and had to walk a lot. She finished the 400k with 40 minutes to spare. Had 20 minutes sleep. Read those two sentences again.
I am still recovering from last weekend's Hull to London ride. She, plainly, has recovered.

Top Bottom