FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Whitstable 17th June 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
some of you will have seen the thread in YACF

This is what happened

Four young men registered, looking for a bit of practice for a long ride across Southern France. One of them told me that they would bring a car down, park it, go to Victoria, cycle to Whitstable, go back to the car and drive home. I suggested they take the train, but the chap said the car was easier. In the event the ride was taking it's time, they were in a bit of a rush, and they made for Sittingbourne Station to return to their car.

As some of you will know, one of the four hit another car while driving home. A 47 year old man in the other car died. The returnee has pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving and received a seven month sentence.

One of his colleagues called me and told me about the crash a little while after the ride. I did consider giving up the rides, but, after talking to a bunch of the 'regulars' (some will be reading this), Rob Fuller of the CTC, Antonia Shepherd at the Martlets and Ian Hennessey of Audax UK, I decided to carry on. I'm not quite sure who said what to convince me, but, for what it's worth, and setting aside, for a second, this terrible event, every time somebody has some kind of minor mishap on the ride I do think 'that's it, that's enough'.

As most of you will know, all the FNRttCs finish close to railway stations, and almost all go along, or pretty close to, railway lines. We've never had a problem getting people away on the train, and I do 'sell' people the the train return (bigging up Groupsave and advance tickets), because that's what it's there for....

While some people are picked up by car I think that occasions where cyclists have driven home from the FNRttC are very rare - I know of only one other occurrence, although we have one regular who 'sleeps it off' in a camper van. I think it's rare because we start just down the road from London Victoria (or York, or Piccadilly, or Cardiff Central) and wind up, as I say, at a railway station. Simples. There is, of course, the SMRttH crowd, but I reckon that, as a group, they know what they're about.

I don't tell people not to drive, because it is so very rare, although the Martlets FNRttC site has this

REMEMBER - you may be tired at the end of the ride - BE SAFE making your way home

which, I suppose, is making the point.

I'm not sure I'm going to change anything now. It's awful that a man lost his life, but, as someone has just pointed out to me, he got hit by a BMW, not by a pushbike. You're perfectly entitled to tell me I'm wrong.

There's the usual hopeless wittering on YACF (the OP was banned from the ride after putting our insurance policy at risk back in 2010) but, happily, there are some people, like Kim, pointing out that, yes, indeed, it is a train-based ride. I'm going to leave them to it. I'm not averse to people making a point here, but I'd be grateful if we could keep in mind that somebody died.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Personally, I am glad you have decided to continue with the FNRttCs. I know how much effort you, and your trusty band of volunteers, put into ensuring that the rides are as safe as possible, including ensuring that the rides end near a good public transport link.

I spent ages trying to put the right words together and failed but what he says ^^

I've been doing FNRttC for just over a year and I'm still amazed at the organisation that goes into them. It may be worth including the Martlett's line in the emails that go out but at the end of the day the decision on how to get home is down to the individual.

Simon, I had not heard anything about this until this morning. I believe you do everything you can to ensure the safety of all on the ride as far as is reasonably possible, and I am pleased that you have continued.

It is a very sad event, and one which could possibly have been avoided. I do worry about riders driving home after long rides, and it is deeply unfortunate that it was a FNR rather than any of the great many audaxes & sportives. But it rested on a decision made by the individual in the face of plenty of advice, information and organisation making train travel the obvious option.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I had seen the story elsewhere earlier, RIP to the driver.
What is usual practise from the other riders, do they work a full day and then do the ride? I couldn't imagine doing that, let alone driving afterwards.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Dell, I've been reading about all this earlier and baring the sad fact of someone losing their life, I have also been concerned about how this would play out for you and for the FNRTTC's etc.

I will not comment an opinion on an public forum in this circumstance, but just want to say thank you for deciding to carry on, in what is a great and extremely well organised ride and one that I whole hearted love and look forward to every four weeks.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm not sure that the advice was plentiful. If memory serves I said I was surprised he was not taking the train and I pointed out that we had a regular from St. Albans who would always take the train from Canterbury or Whitstable to St. Pancras - thence to St. Albans.

I think the decision hinged on the four of them sharing the journey, but that he crashed after leaving his friends and continuing on his own.

I don't bother with a nap on the day, and have worked plenty of full days and have done the ride after. I'm sleepy the next day, but I'd be as sleepy if I had a nap on the Friday. Some people find it more difficult, and some find it straightforward. That, however, a different thing from the consideration of the ride itself, in the sense that we don't have problems on the ride because people are in a group and exercising, and that the structure of the ride takes allows us to watch out for each other, and the roads are pretty much empty. In and of itself it's a very safe ride.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Davy - clearly I took advice from the CTC, to whom I owe a duty of care - after all, the insurance policy is with them. Their advice was that I should carry on if I wished.

kimble

Veteran
I'll third or fourth what User says. The FNRttC means a lot to me personally, and I'm so very glad you've decided to continue.

Someone made a bad decision, unrelated to the ride itself, and something awful happened, again outside of the ride, as a consequence.

That railway access is considered in the planning stage and beyond is one of the many things that makes the FNRttC so much more accessible than many other cycling events. Living - as I now do - in the badlands north of Watford Gap, I wouldn't be able to participate in anywhere near as many of the rides otherwise. There was one occasion last year where I had to bail out of a ride halfway due to unanticipated problems with a long-term injury, which was trivial due to being close to a well-served commuter line. Our railways are far from perfect, but the FNRttC makes excellent use of what they provide. Long may it continue.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Indeed, wisest thing. But still, thank you.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Personally, I am glad you have decided to continue with the FNRttCs. I know how much effort you, and your trusty band of volunteers, put into ensuring that the rides are as safe as possible, including ensuring that the rides end near a good public transport link.
+another 1. Terrible news, this was the first I heard of it (though I remember the four in question). People have to be responsible for their own actions. There were alternatives- the train, having a nap- but they didn't take them.

Apropos nothing much, this section appears in the Vatternrundan handbook.
SIX HOURS OF REST
You must rest for at least six (6) hours after completing the event before driving anywhere. This includes driving back to nearby accommodation. The police will be around to enforce this. If you are found driving within 6 hours of completing the event you will be disqualified from the event.
This rule is in accordance with Swedish Traffic Law 1998:1276:

Chapter 3 Paragraph 1
Vehicles may not be driven by anyone who, because of illness, exhaustion, alcohol or drugs is unable to drive safely.

It's a sad and sorry event to have happened to someone after their ride.

Mr Bunbury

I'm so sorry to hear about this. Peace, thoughts and blessings to the family and friends of the poor guy, and I hope the other guy can learn from the experience and live his life without doing anything so twattish again.

Simon, I hope you and the ride get through this and keep up the good work. FNRttC is an excellent ride and a great introduction to night cycling, and I've seen a bit of the impressive work you put into keeping it that way. Long may it continue!

Snail Bait

I just want to stress to anyone thinking about driving after a long ride: DON'T. I was very lucky to get away with a fractured sternum and a written off car after driving home after a long ride. People may think they are too sensible to do anything so stupid but it just didn't dawn on me not to (public transport was not an option and it wasn't far - I thought). I thank my lucky stars on a regular basis that I didn't kill any one that day. I would never have forgiven myself.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Simon, it was a tragedy beyond and outside your control, the consequences for those directly involved devastating, the consequences for the rest of us sobering.

I, for one, am immeasurably grateful to you, and all the 'usual suspects', for the huge, and sometimes sanity saving, enrichment to my life that has been, and is, FNRttC. Keep faith with it, please.

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
I think that, as always, you've approached the issue with calm, diligence and common sense. It's terrible that someone lost their life; however you can lead a horse to water but can't force it to drink. Someone made a judgement call and had to pay the ultimate price. With the FNRttCs you don't just do "what was necessary" to ensure this didn't happen, you go to lengths to ensure that driving home was not necessary as well as all other aspects of safety for the rides, and we all appreciate it immensely.

Top Bottom