Front light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.
Hello oh knowledgeable persons of CycleChat.

This evening, as I was riding my bike I realised that my front light points up in the air, the trees were beautifully highlighted however the cycle path in front was not. I need recommendations for a front light please?

Thank you

classic33

Leg End Member
What's wrong with the one you have now, assuming you're able to rotate the mounting bracket or replace the current mounting bracket so that it points downwards?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
The search button is your friend, what light is a very common thread topic.

What do you want the light to do primarily.

1) Help to make you seen by other road users or 2) to illuminate your way where there is no street or other lighting or 3) be so bright and powerful that the beam melts rocks and could burn a hole in the sun?

What is your budget? can you spend £3 or £300.

Do you have a preference for USB charged battery pack types that you can phone charge, the magischine (& copies) with the big 18650 battery packs or something that runs on readily available & easily replaced batteries you can carry with you or dynamo powered?

My preference for a good all-rounder front light is the Cateye Volt 300. Solid dependable build quality, USB charge big screw on battery unit with good.run time, dual steady/flash mode as well as just flash and various always on power setting, on full power it is good enough to see by as long as you're not riding very fast or doing Mtb black runs at night, Easy to clip on and off and.compact when carried off the bike & the mount is both good enough not to slip about and easily adjusted or realigned if you feel the need to. Approx £30-35.

A brighter version is available Cateye Volt 800 or the very similar Smart 700 (excellent to see by light and fantastic VFM at ~£30).

The Smart Lunar range are very good lights primary to help others see you.

Smart lights IMO have a decent but not brilliant mounting bracket. cateye's adjustable band type is far better.

There are a wealth of inexpensive, copies of good quality Magischine type battery pack and lamp units generally hiding under the CreeT6 heading, there are a few horror stories of incendiary battery packs but most people who have them seem very happy.

Have a search though on the relevant section of the forum. You'll find plenty of advice has already been given out.

OP
OP
Smithbat

Smithbat

What's wrong with the one you have now, assuming you're able to rotate the mounting bracket or replace the current mounting bracket so that it points downwards?
I can't rotate the bracket. It is on a stretchy band that clips on either side so it only points one way.

OP
OP
Smithbat

Smithbat

The search button is your friend, what light is a very common thread topic.

What do you want the light to do primarily.

1) Help to make you seen by other road users or 2) to illuminate your way where there is no street or other lighting or 3) be so bright and powerful that the beam melts rocks and could burn a hole in the sun?

What is your budget? can you spend £3 or £300.

Do you have a preference for USB charged battery pack types that you can phone charge, the magischine (& copies) with the big 18650 battery packs or something that runs on readily available & easily replaced batteries you can carry with you or dynamo powered?

My preference for a good all-rounder front light is the Cateye Volt 300. Solid dependable build quality, USB charge big screw on battery unit with good.run time, dual steady/flash mode as well as just flash and various always on power setting, on full power it is good enough to see by as long as you're not riding very fast or doing Mtb black runs at night, Easy to clip on and off and.compact when carried off the bike & the mount is both good enough not to slip about and easily adjusted or realigned if you feel the need to. Approx £30-35.

A brighter version is available Cateye Volt 800 or the very similar Smart 700 (excellent to see by light and fantastic VFM at ~£30).

The Smart Lunar range are very good lights primary to help others see you.

Smart lights IMO have a decent but not brilliant mounting bracket. cateye's adjustable band type is far better.

There are a wealth of inexpensive, copies of good quality Magischine type battery pack and lamp units generally hiding under the CreeT6 heading, there are a few horror stories of incendiary battery packs but most people who have them seem very happy.

Have a search though on the relevant section of the forum. You'll find plenty of advice has already been given out.

Go for the Gvolt rather than plain volt. It has a better lens.

Axa green line are also worth a look as battery lights.

Thank you both. I shall search some more.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If the light is moving on the bars, put some tape or an old inner tube round the bars. I have quite a few of the 'stretchy band' lights without problem. Also depending upon the light, you can get a wide angle lens for them

Tom B

Guru
I have a BNIB (warranty exchange) lezyne powerdrive that I'm Selling £65.

£60 for cash, cheque or bank Transfer

Last edited:
OP
OP
Smithbat

Smithbat

If the light is moving on the bars, put some tape or an old inner tube round the bars. I have quite a few of the 'stretchy band' lights without problem. Also depending upon the light, you can get a wide angle lens for them
It doesn't move as t
20160604_100649.jpg
20160604_100639.jpg
he clip bit is shaped to go round the frame of the bike, but as you can see it angles upwards.

potsy

Rambler
This is what I do, something grippy like an old portion of inner tube works great.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Have I been an idiot and put it on wrong?
No - it's a valid place for it. But if you wrap rubber (an old inner tube) around the handlebars and then mount the light on top of the rubber you'll be able to adjust it to point further downwards. At the moment you can only adjust it left/right.

Top Bottom