Front wheel being pulled 'off centre'..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Hulk_slogan

Hulk_slogan

Ah here in lies the confusion!

In the image above, the black sticky out bits at the end that the forks rest on look smooth and nice. However on my hub, the sticky out black bits are silver/aluminium and threaded. Ill try and get an image so you can see what I mean. The forks are sitting where they should on the hub but something must be amiss/the bike is just cheapie and braking force forces the wheel out of where it should be sitting even with a very tight QR.

I've heard of peoples wheels shifting under heavy braking, but once mine has moved, it stays there, so requires me to loosen the QR and re seat the wheel.

Guess its best I take it back!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I've learned something new today then!
It also means if you have narrow drop outs, you can spring the forks inwords towards the hub narrowing the fork space. Thats why when you use mechanical disc brakes, the pads sometimes need adjusting after every release of the wheel/skewer

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Have a look here. About 3/4 down the page is a section dealing with the different types of QR levers. My betting is you have the latter of the two types.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It is a known problem with disc brakes, the torque exerted by the disc causes the wheel to 'climb' out of the fork. Google 'Lawyers Lips' to find out more.
EDIT a quote from Sheldon Brown.
The introduction of disc brakes has caused increased vulnerability of the front axle and skewer, due to the disc brake applying an ejection force that tends to pull the axle out of the fork.

See James Annan's article on disk brake wheel ejection.

OP
OP
Hulk_slogan

Hulk_slogan

Well the wheel sits off centre permanently now after taking the wheel off and reinstalling, which also causes the outer pad to constantly rub hard against the rotor.

Followed all the how to's on brake adjusting, skewer tightening etc etc but im not having any luck. All the fixes are simple and well within my skill range but any adjustement seems to last one ride and its all out of whack again.

Gonna be taking the bike back, as even after momentum cycles in brentwood dished and trued the wheel and adjusted the brake the problems just resurfaced.

Maybe I'd have more patience if I'd had the bike a while, but its a month old with 30 miles on it. Think its just irritated me to the point of taking the stance that a brand new bike shouldnt be having these issues. I could understand minor adjustments as everything stretches in but this is something else!!

Cheers for all the help though. I'll mention the shimano skewers to the shop and if they are willing to replace them without it costing me yet more cash then I'll give it another go, but otherwise I'll be in the market for a better bike methinks!

Top Bottom