Full length Road Bike Mud Guards

What full length Road Bike Guards should I buy?

• SKS Chromoplastic

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • M Part Primoplastics

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Flinger F42 Deluxe

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Kinesis Fend Off

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The principle of the long boards is ideal, but from personal experience they vibrate and stress fracture and subsequently fail. Thats assuming you don't break the front one on the edge of a kerb first :angry:
I put Longboards on my CAADX.

They DO rattle. The front part of the front one kept slapping the fork and the tyre. I added another mount to that part to stiffen it up and that dealt with that. I managed to get the guards about 80% quieter by carefully adjusting the stays, but they are not silent.

I also had the problem of the flap on the front guard catching kerbs. I found that it cuts easily using a stout pair of scissors so I nibbled 0.5 cm off at a time until the flap cleared the kerb outside my house - I have had no problems with it since then. The coverage of the front guard is so great that losing a few cms wasn't a big deal.

AlanW

Guru

They DO rattle. The front part of the front one kept slapping the fork and the tyre. I added another mount to that part to stiffen it up and that dealt with that. I managed to get the guards about 80% quieter by carefully adjusting the stays, but they are not silent.

I also had the problem of the flap on the front guard catching kerbs. I found that it cuts easily using a stout pair of scissors so I nibbled 0.5 cm off at a time until the flap cleared the kerb outside my house - I have had no problems with it since then. The coverage of the front guard is so great that losing a few cms wasn't a big deal.

My first set rattled and consequently snapped so I complained to SKS Germany and they very kindly sent me a replacement set FOC. Then I snapped the front one on kerb despite doing it few times before hand and being lucky not to snap it. That was enough for me, so std length SKS guards now fitted with a RAW long flap...sorted

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
However all of them are outclassed by the Kinesis mudguards, Solid aluminium, very stiff as a result of the design, very very nice looking and durable and totally rattle free with much better coverage than the SKS and Bontrager ones by default as a result of the longer mudflaps.
Good points, I forgot to say the SKS Edge are aluminium, like the Kinesis ones.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
The principle of the long boards is ideal, but from personal experience they vibrate and stress fracture and subsequently fail. Thats assuming you don't break the front one on the edge of a kerb first :angry:

I've heard this a few times regarding the fracturing, although apparently this known-issue was addressed some years ago by moving the stays nearer to the edges of the guards and thus providing more support / reducing the amount of mass and its lever arm that can oscillate relative to the mounts.

FWIW those on my Genesis (newer type as described above) have done circa 4k miles with no obvious issues; can you remember how many miles you got out of yours?

Can't help with the low-height of the front one; although after twatting mine repeatedly on the doorframe leaving the house I think my sluggish brain has just about cottoned on to the concept of lifting the bike on my way out. A quick pop's all kerbs need too, although I appreciate it's less than ideal. Easily the best on the market for coverage though; which I guess has to have some penalty :smile:

wafter

Were these the older type I wonder? Further to the above I have them on a couple of bikes and neither give any issues with noise; although I'll admin that the trailing edge of the front guard does get a hard time if it's not at the centre of my thoughts on less-than-flat rides..

wafter

I bought them just under 7 years ago.

Hmm... INDETERMINATE :laugh:

As per this Bike Rumour review they've had the new format since at least 2018.. not that this really helps. I know stay mounting points and the mounts themselves have changed. There are pics of the newer type in my CdF and Fuji threads if you can be arsed to look :tongue:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As per this Bike Rumour review they've had the new format since at least 2018.. not that this really helps. I know stay mounting points and the mounts themselves have changed. There are pics of the newer type in my CdF and Fuji threads if you can be arsed to look :tongue:
Hmm, I can't tell...

Both the reviewer and you mounted the front mudguard with the bracket at the front of the fork. I mounted mine behind the fork but I think in front would have been better - not only would it have raised the flap at the back of the guard slightly (by the amount I cut off perhaps?), but it would also have prevented the guard flapping against the fork. The fact that I added an extra bracket in front should have been a clue to me, but I must have been going through an '... as two short planks' phase at the time! :laugh:

AlanW

Guru
FWIW those on my Genesis (newer type as described above) have done circa 4k miles with no obvious issues; can you remember how many miles you got out of yours?

Can't help with the low-height of the front one; although after twatting mine repeatedly on the doorframe leaving the house I think my sluggish brain has just about cottoned on to the concept of lifting the bike on my way out. A quick pop's all kerbs need too, although I appreciate it's less than ideal. Easily the best on the market for coverage though; which I guess has to have some penalty :smile:

In truth I cannot recall how long they lasted, other than not as long as I expected them to. To be fair I am going back a few years and maybe they have improved the reliability by relocating the position of the lower mounting stay.

But that aside, I was the same as you, sick to death of keep forgetting to lift the front wheel up ever time I went in or out of the shed. Nothing to do with bad design, just highlighting my stupidity ever single day for goodness sake!

As I said in a previous post, I've since gone back to the standard length SKS ones but added the longer RAW mudflap which takes into account my daily stupidity, by having the ability to bend as I go over the step :laugh:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
The SKS chromoplastics I fitted in 2014 to my Boardman are still going strong, never had an issue with them in over 20k miles. I've just ordered some SKS Stingrays for the new bike, will see how they fair.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
I've just ordered the MPart guards as I could get them from a scheme (Freewheel) the lbs is in. I also got 15% off them signing up to their newsletter (I have actually used Freewheel before but never signed up). It says its next day click & collect but the lbs is shut tomorrow but hey ho I probably wouldn't have fitted them before the weekend anyway. The MPart guards also have slightly more cover. I could have done with full guards last night though, an ass saver never cut it for the feet 😂

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Currently running crud mk 3s and i had to cable tie around the velcro thingie to stop them rattling and coming undone on bad roads .
I wouldnt recommend them but they do the job enough till i can justify a new set

I've had the SKS Chromos on my gravel bike for a couple of years now and added the Raw flap at the back. No problems there.
I fitted them pretty high as I run 32mm slicks most of the year but they take 38mm knobblies if I'm doing off-road stuff.

Top Bottom