Mud Guards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bristolian

Earlier this week I went for a very enjoyable ride with a friend of mine on mostly quiet country lanes :smile:. Whilst it was nice to have been on quiet roads and the odd gravel cycle path the downside was that the bike was absolutely filthy afterwards and it took me longer to get it clean again than to actually ride the route :sad: So, I decided to buy some mudguards. None of my local bike shops had anything suitable so I ventured onto my favourite online shopping destination. Even then I was beginning to despair of finding something that would fit until I saw these that claim to be "perfect for all road bikes, including those with close clearance frames".

Ha! Oh no they're not! Firstly, the brackets that are attached to the front brake mounting bolt rub against the front tyre - they are thicker than the gap between the tyre and the frame. Secondly, the small portion of the rear guard won't fit between the rear tyre and the seat tube. Now I could possibly overcome that problem by shortening that part of the guard but that would defeat the object of fitting it in the first place. Then finally, the mounting brackets for the rear mudguard have the same problem as the front ones being thicker than the gap between the tyre and the frame.

These mudguards are now packaged up awaiting collection for return. I have ordered these instead and although they are less than ideal they should be infinitely better than nothing at all.

I appreciate that my problem is largely of my own doing as I have the biggest tyres that Specialized say can be fitted to the bike - 700x28c - for improved comfort but that leaves much less space between the tyres and frame/forks for mudguards to fit. Short of suggesting narrower tyres does anyone have any recommendations?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You might need SKS Raceblade Pro XL's - just 'fitted' mine to the CX bike but the 38c gravel tyres are too wide as expected - the stay's rub. They will be OK with the wheels with the 28c road tyres.

OP
OP
Bristolian

Bristolian

You might need SKS Raceblade Pro XL's - just 'fitted' mine to the CX bike but the 38c gravel tyres are too wide as expected - the stay's rub. They will be OK with the wheels with the 28c road tyres.
I did consider the Pro XL's but thought they'd be too wide and look weird. Time will tell, I guess 👍

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I did consider the Pro XL's but thought they'd be too wide and look weird. Time will tell, I guess 👍

They aren't that wide - can't run the 38c's on a tight framed CX bike with the guards. Shame, but I'll shove on the road wheels instead to use them. I thought I'd get away with it, but the stays are too close - they are a bit wobbly.

johnnyb47

Guru
I have some Raceblades pr xls fitted to my Specialized Alley with 700c 28 tyres.They fit really well and don't look out of place either.
I've been down some really mucky lanes and they're kept the worst off the bike..

I used to advise people who are not podium-contenders to get a bike that is compatible with their winter tyre with SKS chromoplastic mudguards.
I gave up.
You need you hack mudguards to fit. Cut, dremel, file, glue, velco, rubber band, ductape, or whatever to fit them to your slick frame.
Some Specialized frames have propriatory mudguard fittings held by a tiny grub-screw. Check if your frame has this.

OP
OP
Bristolian

Bristolian

I used to advise people who are not podium-contenders to get a bike that is compatible with their winter tyre with SKS chromoplastic mudguards.
I gave up.
You need you hack mudguards to fit. Cut, dremel, file, glue, velco, rubber band, ductape, or whatever to fit them to your slick frame.
Some Specialized frames have propriatory mudguard fittings held by a tiny grub-screw. Check if your frame has this.

When I bought the bike back in February I never gave fitting mudguards a thought. I rode the bike and liked it so money changed hands ^_^

I'm not averse to a bit of remodelling mudguards to get them to fit but the ones I had the other day were never going to. I've had a good look at the bike but don't see any little grub screws anywhere.

cool_hand

Über Member

OP
OP
Bristolian

Bristolian

N+1 you clearly need a "winter" bike with proper mudguard mounts

Absolutely, I know I need a winter bikes BUT (and it is a BIG BUT) SWMBO doesn't see it like that. She's already been fighting my N+1 philosophy towards camera equipment for the past twenty years and eventually, reluctantly, giving in on a second bike would be one step too far.

We've been married 49 years and I'm too old to think about training a replacement ^_^

OP
OP
Bristolian

Bristolian

Yes, I have read that - it is very interesting. As far as I can tell there are no mudguards that will fit between my tyres and either the underside of front fork crown or the stay where the rear brake calliper is mounted. Best I can tell there is between 1 and 1.5mm of clearance in those spaces.

I had not even given a thought to what might happen if something jammed the front mudguard so Chris Juden's article has given me even more food for thought. I may have to get the SKS quick-release mounts if they're not included with my new guards, which should be here tomorrow.

Velochris

Über Member
Have a look at Problem Solver Fender Nuts. Using them means you do not have to fit the mudguard bracket under the brake, therefore giving a little more room (and also make removing and refitting much quicker).

You will probably still need to do some minor cutting out if the guards around the fork blades etc.

Using the above and minor cutting I have fitted a set of 42mm SKS guards onto my Genesis Equilibrium, which is designed for up to 28mm tyres.

Many folk use these for bikes with zero proper 'guard eyelets and/or tiny clearances.

Some find them extremely useful, they also have their detractors. The phrase 'you pays your money, you take your chances' springs to mind.

OP
OP
Bristolian

Bristolian

So, my SKS Raceblade Pro XL mudguards arrived today so I set about trying to fit them. Compared to the first guards these were an easy fit, although they needed some fettling to get them right. With four adjustment points on each side of each mudguard there is plenty of scope for messing it up :ohmy: and it took quite a lot of adjust this-change that-reset-go again before I was happy with the result. There may need to be a bit more tweaking once I've ridden the bike in anger and I will carry the 2mm allen key with me for a while just in case. here is the result:
IMG_1906.JPG

IMG_1907.JPG

IMG_1908.JPG

Top Bottom