Mudguard recommendations for Genesis Equilibrium

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cool_hand

Über Member
Looking for some mudguards, possibly black metal for my recently acquired (used) Equilibrium; tyres are 28s.
The Equilibrium came with some black plastic SKS which I've put on my other bike - I can't say I'm overly impressed by them but maybe there's something else they offer!
Thoughts, recommendations, alternatives are welcome.

cheys03

Veteran
I’ve always preferred SKS mudguards but haven’t had a new set for a few years, has the quality changed? What puts you off them?

Wooger

Looking for some mudguards, possibly black metal for my recently acquired (used) Equilibrium; tyres are 28s.
The Equilibrium came with some black plastic SKS which I've put on my other bike - I can't say I'm overly impressed by them but maybe there's something else they offer!
Thoughts, recommendations, alternatives are welcome.

Bontrager ones look decent imo, available in the correct width I think, and sold in Evans.
Kinesis Fend Off are great, but may not fit through your fork (rim brake model?) - they didn't for me.

If you want to spend big, the portland design works ones are really nice too.

I recently went with MPart Primoplastic ones after my SKS ones broke (I have had a SKS guards break so I wanted to try something different. Whilst they had a good review, I mainly went with them as with discount I could get them through a lbs for similar price to the SKS ones (you get them cheaper on line). They have a bit more coverage than the sks ones and were easy to fit, so just now I am happy with them.

https://road.cc/content/review/182909-mpart-primoplastics-mudguards

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Another vote for SKS tbh; IMO totally fit for purpose, look good and great value. I'm a big fan of the longboards :becool:

img_3387a-jpg.jpg

If you want something more obviously metallic, I believe SKS do some higher end stuff, while you might also want to take a look at Velo Orange and Portland Design Works - nice looking products but a bit too costly for me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
Bontrager ones look decent imo, available in the correct width I think, and sold in Evans.
Kinesis Fend Off are great, but may not fit through your fork (rim brake model?) - they didn't for me.

If you want to spend big, the portland design works ones are really nice too.

The PDW look a perfect fit for the Equilibrium as they come in a 37mm width, however, no one currently stocks them apart from eBay and the seller is asking £130. They certainly appear to be a slightly better finished guard compared to the Kinesis Fend Off but I don't think the difference in quality is worth an additional £80. The Kinesis come in a 40mm width (my bike is rim brakes) and 40mm is going to be very tight, possibly too tight. I'm informed my Kinesis that the guards are crimped at the front mech side of the rear and the underneath of the fork crown and that might be just enough to make them work. SKS do have alloy versions of their guards but it appears that they're wider than the Kinesis. I will probably take a punt with the Kinesis. Thanks for all the other recommendations, appreciated.

OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
Promised review?

The good: Overall I'm happy with the Kinesis Fend Off. They fitted well and were fairly easy to fit but were not a perfect fit for the Equilibrium. The 40mm width was fine, the crimp in the front guard worked fairly well with the fork crown. The crimp front mech side of the rear guard didn't really align that closely with the mech but then didn't really cause any issues – the crimp must be Kinesis specific. The one part that didn't work as well as I'd like was the rear mudguard bracket - it didn't bring the guard up as high as I'd like, still usable but I'll look as this again when I put the guards back on in the Autumn – will see if there's any way I can modify the bracket.

The bad: Although the guards come with Stay Fixing Bolts they don't come with any bolts (or washers) for the eyelets and the chain stay bridge. Kinesis argue that different bikes require different bolts but this just appears to be penny pinching and unless you are fortunate enough to have what you need to hand you can expect to add £5 to £10 to your budget. They don't come with pre-cut flaps – you have to make the flaps out of part of the plastic packaging that comes with the guards – you have to cut the flaps out by hand. I didn't get round to cutting the flaps out as they're not a necessity they're an option. Good news: if you do decide to cut the flaps out the bolts are included! Finally you'll have to trim the ends of the stays once the guards are correctly fitted. I used an angle grinder but you could use a hacksaw if you have the patience.

Conclusion: The guards are solid once fitted, attractive and represent good value at £40 if you don't take into consideration that you will have to purchase additional bolts to complete installation and that they don't come with pre-cut flaps.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
get . . . SKS secu-clips for quick release with the fend offs,
I guess Kinesis would say that full metal (jacket) front mudguards have sufficient structiral rigidity so won't scrunch up like plastic ones might. Thus the risk is far less > minimal. otherwise the front stays would surely be sold with QR clips.

Top Bottom