Mud guards advice please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fraz101

I’m going to need to get mud guards for my winter bike, for club rides.

I attach picture of bike in question, I have fitted 28mm tyres and it is on Sram Force rim brakes.

How do I know what will fit? HELP

698E2284-D18E-490D-B1E1-8C1073D7CAF0.jpeg

Slick

Guru

Mike_P

Guru
Clearance between the brake assembly and the wheel is often an issue on road bikes and if it is tight probably the Flinger Race Pro clip ons which fit either side of the brake assembly

vickster

Legendary Member
Just take it to your LBS and see what they suggest.
You may be stuck with cruds or race blades and 23 or 25mm tyres.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Looks like it doesn't have mounts so you're looking at "universal" jobs like the SKS items Slick recommends. I have some SKS longboards on a couple of mine and love them, but have no experience of their other products.

As for fit, unfortunately I think this is always going to be an educated guess / leap of faith to some extent; but it would be worth looking at potentially tight areas (fork crown, chainstay and seatstay bridges) to check there's actually some room - if you can only get a fag paper in there there's little point proceeding..

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..

There's your answer, then :sad:

IIRC you can get guards that bridge these bits, although they're going to increasingly be compromised by these limitations..

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
unless you go for something long it might keep you dry but those following will still get spray off your back wheel, something like sks raceblade long
1664648201019.png

sks raceblade pro
1664648267720.png

crud mk 3 might be an issue with front fork clearance for the tabs catchibg the spokes on the front wheel as the fork is very close to the spokes if i remember

si_c

Guru
The Raceblades linked above with 23mm tyres are likely to be your best bet for satisfying club ride requirements - which are broadly about not making the person behind you drown in road spray. The Raceblade Pros are great mudguards for what they are - they fit easily and don't require any mounting holes on the frame and work pretty well in most conditions. A key point though is before you mount them to the frame make sure you get some helicopter tape over the frame so that fretting doesn't remove the paint.

That being said I cannot stress enough how much full length mudguards (the ones which mount at the bottom bracket as well) make a difference, the biggest problem with short mudguards is that the rear wheel now dumps a torrent of gritty water right on the drivetrain and your feet, negating the two biggest plus points for fitting mudguards in the first place.

Be prepared to thoroughly and regularly clean your bike.

Top Bottom