Fuming at BBC Radio Sheffield

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So today it's the funeral of the cyclist killed in a collision with a car on Whirlowdale Road in Sheffield.

It should be noted that
  • The cyclist was very experienced.
  • The driver of the car involved was over the legal alcohol limit
  • The driver of another car has also been arrested and bailed along with the cars' other occupants

So of course it was mentioned on the local news. A brief mention (fine), but then a "we spoke to..." some "expert" or other who proceeded to give a lecture on how cyclists can get training and do "cycling proficiency"

Not even the briefest nod to urging drivers to be more responsible or not to drive p****d-up. All about how cyclists should be trained.

At least the morning talk show host covering it did a better job, the onus was slightly on cyclists but a little more respectful of the fact that the cyclist involved was a regular experienced and capable cyclist

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I know what you mean. I have to switch such things off before I lob my radio out of a window these days. We had similar over here on Radio Norfolk on Monday morning, though it was a dreary phone-in. After about the 5th mention from drivers of red light jumping, pavement riding cyclists, and even the dopey presenter suggesting cyclists should pay 'road tax' and have licence plates, I gave up.
If the media can't get it right, what hope is there for the bone headed motoring public?! :wacko:

davefb

Guru
I do think it's about numbers, I saw a range rover driver holding up the q at lights yesterday , headlights on full beam, he's texting( for quite a while as well), I pass (driving) and think 'oh well his stupidity means I can go past about 30 cars , a win'.

But then, it isn't "ALL CAR DRIVERS ARE EVIL SINCE I SAW ONE", it's "HE's a plonker"

But what seems to happen when people see cyclists is that because they don't ride themselves, they see 'ALL CYCLISTS'..

I can't believe it was always this way when 'everyone' had a bike, I can only assume it's become this way because we got out of the habit of cycling as a nation.. I hope we can reverse the trend...

But yeah, that beggers belief, hit by a drunk driver, its the victims fault.... sheesh!

clockman

Über Member
Is it just me, but if you are caught driving any motor vehicle whilst being over the legal alcohol limit, you have broken the law-period. Consequently, you get an automatic 12 month driving ban. Minimum.
If as a result of your intoxication a death occurs, due to the accident, the matter becomes more serious. I think I am right that this particular drunk driver will be required to pass an extended driving test before they are allowed to get their licence back.
To blame the victim for being killed by someone who is incapable through drink is crass, insulting and exceptionally insensitive.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I do think it's about numbers, I saw a range rover driver holding up the q at lights yesterday , headlights on full beam, he's texting( for quite a while as well), I pass (driving) and think 'oh well his stupidity means I can go past about 30 cars , a win'.

But then, it isn't "ALL CAR DRIVERS ARE EVIL SINCE I SAW ONE", it's "HE's a plonker"

But what seems to happen when people see cyclists is that because they don't ride themselves, they see 'ALL CYCLISTS'..

I can't believe it was always this way when 'everyone' had a bike, I can only assume it's become this way because we got out of the habit of cycling as a nation.. I hope we can reverse the trend...

But yeah, that beggers belief, hit by a drunk driver, its the victims fault.... sheesh!
This seemed relevant - http://www.thepsychologist.org.uk/a...6-getfile_getPDF/thepsychologist\0912walk.pdf

spen666

Legendary Member
Not even the briefest nod to urging drivers to be more responsible or not to drive p****d-up. ....

Probably because they would be running the risk of being prosecuted for contempt of court.

whilst there is a live court case or a potential of a court case, you are limited as to what you can say.

would you prefer the Radio station to say as you suggest, and the driver get his case thrown out because the Radio station had prejudiced his right to a fair trial by reporting that which they are prevented from.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Probably because they would be running the risk of being prosecuted for contempt of court.

whilst there is a live court case or a potential of a court case, you are limited as to what you can say.

would you prefer the Radio station to say as you suggest, and the driver get his case thrown out because the Radio station had prejudiced his right to a fair trial by reporting that which they are prevented from.

Nothing to stop the radio presenter saying that the driver involved in the collision that killed the cyclist is appearing at Fulchester Crown Court on charges of drink driving etc..

GC

spen666

Legendary Member
Nothing to stop the radio presenter saying that the driver involved in the collision that killed the cyclist is appearing at Fulchester Crown Court on charges of drink driving etc..

GC
There is if the person charged has not admitted being the driver!

It is far more sensible for the radio station to err on the side of caution than for them to prejudice a trial and risk themselves being jailed for contempt of court!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Nice find! :smile: Definitely worth a read, although they missed one important point (unless I read the article a bit too quickly, and missed it :blush:): motorists seem to consistently underestimate how fast some cyclists can move, and so many of the left hooks or right turns in front of cyclists occur because the motorist has simply assumed the cyclist is travelling at a certain speed, and then gets caught by surprise when the cyclist is closer than they expected when they do the turn. I am of course talking about the motorists making an honest misjudgement, not about those who simply couldn't give a toss about the cyclists, and play a game of chicken with them: they're a completely different breed :angry:.

arghill

This seems to be just of one of many stories in the media this week that have defied logic with their victim blaming.

I have noticed the same thing from mainstream sources and even Gizmodo.

So I will no longer waste my time reading stories about UK cycling (with the exception of next years TDF start!)

Should they actually change any laws relating to our safety I hope the people here shout loudly about it, because I will not be noticing otherwise :smile:

Also why do they have to choose the time it is getting cold and wet to pick on 'us' (those with two wheels) !

Top Bottom