Gear inches reduction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

DanZac

I have a touring bike with 44 and 28 at the front and 13-32 at the back. I got two cassettes, a 13-23 from a junior racing range and a 11--32 MTB one. I split them, keeping everything in order, and then took 5 cogs from the road one giving close ratios at the higher end, and four from the MTB giving wider range down low

I'm liking this idea, what does that give you with spread wise on the cassette and is the shifting still smooth? From what I've read elsewhere but have no experiance of, the world seems split on how important the ramps etc area and how they effect shifting if there not aligned as designed. Not that its a major issue as I'm hardly racing or in any rush for a quick shift and it must have worked before they designed ramps, pins and all the other gubbins!

OP
OP
D

DanZac

Makes sense and looking like a good option or possible combination of this with a slight front reduction for extra ease.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Do you need the 12 at the back?
OP probably doesn't (witha 50t large chainwheel) and I only use it because it's there. But @User , please link to a 13-27+ cassette (any speed). You can get 13t smallest sprocket and compatible lockring, but I think at some cost and not as part of a cassette. The junior ones are all close ratio.
Cross post with the ones above. What @User has done @DanZac is to physically split up the pinned together part of two cassettes. And I'm guessing from your other posts this may seem a good idea to you in principle (and it is - a 'custom' cassette, much easier with Campagnolo, of course) but the practice requires expertise which I haven't got, don't know about you. My effort at this is to buy an HG-50 11-30 cassette, ditch the 11t, insert a 13t from a used cassette (the 13t gets little use so will not be worn) and the 14t-30t 7 sprockets are pinned. So at least it goes 12, 13, 14, 16 etc rather than 11, 12, 14, 16 . . . 12 to 14 is too big a ratio change and as I said the 11t is redundant.

Last edited:
Top Bottom