George Osborne hates cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
[QUOTE 4081766, member: 9609"]OK, maybe I was being a bit silly with such a low figure of £35. However I still think limits should be placed on how much insurers need to pay out towards car repairs. By all means have a car with wondrous all singing all dancing £1,400s worth of mirrors, but it is unreasonable to expect others to be responsible for such frivolities. If you want an utter nonsense of a car then you should be covering the nonsense part with your own insurance. So for instance; if an old dear accidentally swiped off one of these sticky out bits in the supermarket car park, then her insurance should only cover the cost of a basic mirror, lets say £100 from her insurance then the other £600 should be coming out of your or your insurers pocket. It is just utterly ludicrous having a £700 door mirror, utterly pointless.

Old people are being priced off the road with high premiums to cover minor bumps and scratches in car parks, any dint under an inch in depth should just be considered as fair wear and tear. Cars should be designed to be a lot more practicable than they are.[/QUOTE]
I don't disagree but to play devils advocate on vanity (??) kit that costs far far more than serviceable alternatives.....

You (generic cyclist you) are riding your carbon pride and joy with its top of the range ultegra groupset.

Someone clonks into you and ruins the rear mech.

Are you going to accept an SIS, Tourney or even 105 etc replacement offer and be happy to stump up the rest yourself if you want a like for like replacement?

sidevalve

Über Member
[QUOTE 4081766, member: 9609"]but it is unreasonable to expect others to be responsible for such frivolities. If you want an utter nonsense of a car then you should be covering the nonsense[/QUOTE]
No it isn't. You have not done the damage so why should you have to have a cheap scrapyard repair or anything but a full on manufacturers replacement. After all if a driver knocked you off your bike and damaged a wheel would you be happy with a cheap steel one from the scrap pile at the back of the LBS ? Ok the figures are different but the principle is the same

When I owned a money pit BMW I was asked to pay £1500 for a differential because a £5 input bearing failed, and restrictive practices are in place to stop me fixing it by other means.

The car manufacturers are running the rip off, with a simple ignition key being £100+ on even a cheap car.
It's not just prestige cars that cost a bomb to fix, the whole industry is in on the con.

Many insurance claims will be dealt with on a contra-invoice basis anyway. I don't believe they're running at a loss.

PK99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4081766, member: 9609"]OK, maybe I was being a bit silly with such a low figure of £35. However I still think limits should be placed on how much insurers need to pay out towards car repairs. By all means have a car with wondrous all singing all dancing £1,400s worth of mirrors, but it is unreasonable to expect others to be responsible for such frivolities. If you want an utter nonsense of a car then you should be covering the nonsense part with your own insurance. So for instance; if an old dear accidentally swiped off one of these sticky out bits in the supermarket car park, then her insurance should only cover the cost of a basic mirror, lets say £100 from her insurance then the other £600 should be coming out of your or your insurers pocket. It is just utterly ludicrous having a £700 door mirror, utterly pointless.

Old people are being priced off the road with high premiums to cover minor bumps and scratches in car parks, any dint under an inch in depth should just be considered as fair wear and tear. Cars should be designed to be a lot more practicable than they are.[/QUOTE]

What about a £3,000 bike? Or £2000 carbon wheels? Should a drivers insurance be limited to a replacement from Halfords?

[QUOTE 4082424, member: 9609"] How utterly ridiculous to have such expensive shiny paint on a car![/QUOTE]

A malicious damage claim, say a key or screwdriver that has gouged the length of two door panels, can easily write off a fairly new car.

CUBE CRD

When I owned a money pit BMW I was asked to pay £1500 for a differential because a £5 input bearing failed, and restrictive practices are in place to stop me fixing it by other means.

The car manufacturers are running the rip off, with a simple ignition key being £100+ on even a cheap car.
It's not just prestige cars that cost a bomb to fix, the whole industry is in on the con.

Nail on the head there.

Bad Company

Very Old Person
[QUOTE 4039504, member: 9609"]The change I would like to see within motoring insurance that I believe would significantly reduce premiums; A limit to how much will be paid to repair a car. For instance I was chatting to someone a little while ago who needed a replacement door mirror for his stupid german 4x4 monster car, it was something astonishing like £700 To me that is unreasonable, I see halfords do door mirrors for £25 so let us put a max claim for any door mirror at £35. If people want to spend more then they should do so at their own cost and risk.
It appears to me that your average motorist is paying a premium to cover the potential costs to repair idioticly stupid cars.[/QUOTE]

He probably thinks your bike is 'idiotically expensive'. Each to their own.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
l

Many insurance claims will be dealt with on a contra-invoice basis anyway. I don't believe they're running at a loss.

Insurance company accounts are publicly available for anyone who cares to investigate....

And for all those of you worrying that you or [insert underprivileged group] are paying too much for your insurance because of someone else's vanity - stop! Third party property damage is a small part of the typical insurance premium. And most of it goes on the consequences of major smashes, not minor prangs.

Top Bottom