Getting chilly in the cafe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I’ve hauled myself off the sofa for two rides this week. It’s been chilly and damp but not unpleasant. Both times, I’ve planned in a cafe stop but both times I’ve decided to push on and go home because I’m chilly and I know that if I stop and sit in a cafe in my cycling gear, I’ll get PROPERLY cold and shivery! Even if I took an extra layer, I know I’d get shivery!

What can I do to avoid this? Is merino the answer? I’ve never worn any. My base layers are technical running T-shirts!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Find a warm, toasty cafe.

All uphill

Still rolling along
It's taken me far too long to learn the value of buffs, bobble hats and, occasionally, a balaclava. Otherwise fairly loose layers top and bottom.
No one would mistake me for a 'proper' cyclist, and that's fine.

Ever since I saw someone turn blue when they stopped to deal with a flat tyre I've kept in mind the need to have some reserves of energy and warmth.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I still get cold! Damp clothes make me chilly!
I discovered that on a 200 km autumn audax once. I went into a cafe in Pateley Bridge. I started shivering so violently that I was spilling my coffee!

Ever since I saw someone turn blue when they stopped to deal with a flat tyre I've kept in mind the need to have some reserves of energy and warmth.
That is a worry for me. I once got a puncture on a winter ride. My fingers were so cold that it took me over 30 minutes to fix it. I was worried that I would not be able to!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Damp clothes is the key here. You are wearing so many layers that you are sweating during your outing. Then it’s soaking back to your skin and chilling you when you stop.

Some tips

Try to dress so that you’re slightly cold before you start, but comfortable when riding, and not sweating. This may mean removing a layer once you’ve done your first hill and reached operating temp. When you stop, have an extra layer you throw over the top before the warmth is lost. If you find you are getting too warm and sweating then you need to adjust your layers to cool down. No point in having layers if you don’t adjust them during the ride.

A mesh base layer works great at keeping any liquid sweat away from the skin. If it’s not against your skin it won’t chill you. It provides insulation via the air gaps in the mesh as well. Take a look at https://www.brynje-shop.com/en/sportswear~c12/brynje-lady-super-thermo-shirt-10200315-p43386

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Good work for getting out :smile:

I guess it's all relative. Better base layers will disperse moisture more effectively but of course how damp you get will depend on lots of factors besides this - it's definitely your enemy once you stop though; especially out in the cold and I've been blindsided by this a few times.

FWIW I have a fully synthetic RAB base layer and somewhat more expensive 80% Merino Finisterre item and haven't noticed an obvious difference in wicking, although I've not been specifically paying attention to this so that's not to say that there isn't a difference. The Merino does feel nicer on my manky, hyper-sensitive skin however.

I think the least-invasive option is probably to remove layers when you get to the cafe to let the sweat out - usually at the end of a ride I find I get warm for a bit due to the lack of windchill; especially if going straight into a warm building. Once you've let as much of the sweat flash off as possible, you can start putting layers back on again...

If you're really damp you could pack a second base layer / and get changed when you arrive to prevent the moisture making you colder.

I tend to do variations of this at work when it's less cold - arrive at the office, since I'm the only one there all top layers off, base layer draped over the bike to air.. when I start feeling the cold either I put some / all of it back on again or resort to the spare set of civvies I keep in the Brompton's front bag.

Ultimately temperature control under varying conditions is, IMO one of the more challenging aspects of cycling and I think really you'll only find the least-worst solution by experimenting..

Last edited:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Merino is erm weirdly 'nice' compared to synthetics when damp. Today (though no cafe stop) merino baselayer, socks and skull cap* - if colder I'd have worn merino buff. Not whiffy and feels 'okay' when damp 🤪
Top tip thin merino (for me) works best

* I did have other cycling apparel on 🤣

geocycle

Legendary Member
Layers and ventilation are the key. Tomorrow in about 5 C with light winds forecast, I’ll be wearing some sort of synthetic t shirt, a thin Merino mid layer and a thicker synthetic endura cycling top. When I set off I’ll put my waterproof on until the first hill when I warm up, then it usually goes in the bag until it rains, or as a reserve against windchill. I have some thick longs, wool socks, under helmet hat, Rapha winter gloves and buff. Its not an exact science though and weather changes during rides especially in the hills.

Top Bottom