Getting my own back.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Way back when I first started work, one of the first things I spent a fair amount of money on was a new frame from Harry Hall's, then in Cathedral street Manchester. Standing out on the pavement looking at the choice I had, a ruby flamboyant Harry Hall, or Holdsworths in blue or green, all 531 PG, I chose the HH even though it was £7 more expensive, mainly for the colour and gold transfers. I went up in the world and a few years later bought a butted frame, the HH went to my father who used it for a few more years, then gave it to a workmate to go to work on, I thought I had seen the last of it. Until tonight, a knock at the door,Moon Bunny opened it. "Is this where *Hover Fly* lives?" "It is" she calls me. "Hello, I'm ********'s son, he used to work with your father" "Yes" I said "I remember him". Your dad gave him a bike once, when he was short of money." "Yep, it was way too good to go to Vickers on" "He died earlier this year, asked me if I could find you and give you it back." "Oh, I don't know what to say" "I've got it in my car, I'll go and get it". A bottle of wine as a thank you, and it's now stood in the hallway, bearing the scars of its "gosh how long?" adventures but still the frame I knew and loved all that time ago.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Hover Fly that is a fantastic story

can we have some pics please , i bet you never expected to see it again did you

OP
OP
Hover Fly

Hover Fly

Lazy so and so
Wasted no time stripping it and arranging a CAT scan:
P1010612 - Edited.jpg

I'm thinking 5 speed with the Campag. steel chainset and early Shim hubs illustrated, or maybe a Sturmey Archer.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Am I alone in getting just slightly moist-eyed at this story? What a fantastic thing to do.

Daddybus

Über Member
Good grief there's no (hover) flies on you... All stripped & cleaned in an evening? Would have taken me a week! Looks cracking & good condition too

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
What a great father and son for returning your bike. I am really looking to seeing the finished article. It looks great.

Top Bottom