Giant TCR Advanced - Conundrum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
The frame is Medium, I am 5'10 and 13 stone...

Come to think of it, it was the only TCR in the store. Are you saying the LBS just sold me what they had and "made me fit the bike" the best they could? Hmm

View attachment 730311
Any chance you could measure the head tube length? The 'D' dimension on this picture, measured from top to bottom edge of the tube:
P_20240510_131333.jpg

I'm asking because this bike looks confusing. It has a colour scheme of an Advanced 1 but sticker says 2, cranks and discs don't look right - not what it would come with out of the box, I think. Looks like someone built it; it's not OEM, but I may be wrong.

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

Any chance you could measure the head tube length? The 'D' dimension on this picture, measured from top to bottom edge of the tube:
View attachment 730358

I'm asking because this bike looks confusing. It has a colour scheme of an Advanced 1 but sticker says 2, cranks and discs don't look right - not what it would come with out of the box, I think. Looks like someone built it; it's not OEM, but I may be wrong.

It's had new hubs, wheels, and discs ?

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

View attachment 730358

D = 150mm

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

This is Giant's sizing site. You're bang on the money with a medium frame.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/_upload_au/rider_height_frame_size.PDF

The set up doesn't look weird at all so I'm not sure where that is coming from.

Sizing isn't the issue stopping you riding it, unfortunately sciatica is.

I don't understand either, the set-up was done by biking experts who have run their own shop for years and have their own team who compete, so if I can't trust them, then it's time to pack it all in!

AndyRM

XOXO
I don't understand either, the set-up was done by biking experts who have run their own shop for years and have their own team who compete, so if I can't trust them, then it's time to pack it all in!

It's not far off what Giant have used for their promo shots of the TCR on their website, albeit they've cut the steerer. Acres of seatpost are quite a common thing on bikes these days, some like the look, some don't.

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

HandlebarGiant Contact
StemGiant Contact
SeatpostGiant Variant, composite
SaddleGiant Approach (changed to Specialized)
PedalsShimano 105
ShiftersShimano 105
Front DerailleurShimano 105
Rear DerailleurShimano 105
BrakesShimano 105 hydraulic
Brake LeversShimano 105 hydraulic
CassetteShimano 105, 11x30
ChainKMC X11EL-1
CranksetShimano RS-510, 36/52
Bottom BracketShimano, press fit
RimsGiant PR-2 Disc wheelset (changed to Reserve 50/50 350 carbon)
HubsGiant PR-2 Disc wheelset, 12mm thru-axle (Changed to DT-Swiss 350)

Last edited:

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
HandlebarGiant Contact
StemGiant Contact
SeatpostGiant Variant, composite
SaddleGiant Approach (changed to Specialized)
PedalsShimano 105
ShiftersShimano 105
Front DerailleurShimano 105
Rear DerailleurShimano 105
BrakesShimano 105 hydraulic
Brake LeversShimano 105 hydraulic
CassetteShimano 105, 11x30
ChainKMC X11EL-1
CranksetShimano RS-510, 36/52
Bottom BracketShimano, press fit
RimsGiant PR-2 Disc wheelset (changed to Reserve 50/50 350 carbon)
HubsGiant PR-2 Disc wheelset, 12mm thru-axle (Changed to DT-Swiss 350)
There you go. Not a 105 crankset - that's why it looked mismatched. If selling do put the entire spec table. Just looking at it, I don't think that's an 11-30 cassette - more like 11-25 or 11-26. And hard to say by the photo but the chain doesn't appear to have holes in the middle of the plates - so it's not an EL.

Still think it looks like it's set up for a rider that's too large for it. But your height matches the frame size, according to Giant.

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

Well Mr Salt, only an experienced, technical person would come up with these fine details and I doff my cap to you sir because I was sitting there thinking “what is he on about!” I’m pretty much still a novice at this game and would never had spotted that on anyone’s bike!

Top Bottom