Girl down!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
It finally happened and I got hit by a car for the first time ever today!

The car was coming towards me and wanted to turn right into the petrol station. He just swung in front of me. I slammed the brakes on and ended up hitting the back of his car behind the back passenger door. Hit the ground.

Remarkably I’m totally fine - a scratch on my elbow. My bike was also fine, just needed to straighten the wheel slightly. The chap was apologetic and immediately took the blame. ‘Sorry love, I didn’t see you’.

So all fine but a little shaken up.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Bugger, glad all is well. Dumbass driving mind.

Gwylan

Veteran
It finally happened and I got hit by a car for the first time ever today!

The car was coming towards me and wanted to turn right into the petrol station. He just swung in front of me. I slammed the brakes on and ended up hitting the back of his car behind the back passenger door. Hit the ground.

Remarkably I’m totally fine - a scratch on my elbow. My bike was also fine, just needed to straighten the wheel slightly. The chap was apologetic and immediately took the blame. ‘Sorry love, I didn’t see you’.

So all fine but a little shaken up.

They are out there!
Write your account down ready for the claim.

Fixing your wheel, the 6 weeks you'll have to have off work and him being a twerp.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Hope you are OK, Cathryn and that you got the SMIDSY drivers details.. It seems that how careful you are, there's an idiot trying to ruin your day 😔

a.twiddler

Veteran
Ouch! A variation of the classic SMIDSY (Sorry Mate I Didn't See You) accident, or in your case, SLIDSY. Or to put it more correctly "sorry love I didn't look." In case anything comes of it, he admitted that he was negligent. As previously mentioned I hope that you took his details. You might be OK today but by tomorrow you could be quite stiff and sore, or worse. I certainly hope that you will be OK. Since you're not invisible, perhaps he will be more aware of cyclists next time.

When you say you got hit by a car for the first time ever, I hope this doesn't mean you're going to make a career of it. It could be a short career, and there is no pension scheme! There is an old motorcyclists' saying (being an old motorcyclist myself), "If you're not there, they can't hit you" which is not to say you should go around with a sense of impending doom but to think, "What stupid/ unpredictable thing could this other person do, and how could I best avoid being in a place where if he does, he could cause me harm?". This is a school of thought that assumes that other road users are all incompetent idiots. 99 times out of a hundred they aren't, and even if they are, most of the time nothing will come of it. Just occasionally, as you've just found out, when all the factors are in alignment, something does occur.
You almost end up thinking for other people, and after a while it becomes second nature, something that runs in the background.

So don't let this incident spoil your enjoyment of cycling. You just have to put it down to experience, and avoid it happening in future.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
It can certainly shake a person up. Glad there doesn’t appear to be any physical or mechanical damage, but do get yourself checked out if there any aches and pains and also get the bike a once-over.

Don’t beat yourself up about not getting the details. I’ve been hit twice and the adrenaline can certainly mess with your logic circuits. 😵‍💫

Top Bottom