Give feedback to your train company to improve bike rack CCTV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
I had my bike stolen from a South West Trains bike rack in Petersfield, Hampshire, on Thursday. The station staff, British Transport Police and local CID have been very helpful and professional. This area is a cycle crime hotspot and it seems that the authorities take it seriously. Fingers crossed!

Having spoken to my local CID it was mentioned that the CCTV covering Petersfield train station's platform 2 bike rack is poor because the cameras are quite far away from the bike racks. Having heard this I rang SWT's comment line to advise them that the area is a hotspot but their CCTV is lacking, and asking that they consider improving it with the bike racks in particular.

More voices mean more likely action, so check your local station's bike racks and take a look at the CCTV. If it's non-existent or doesn't look very good, please call the franchise and ask them to help do their bit to reduce cycle crime by making bike racks a priority for CCTV.

Drago

Legendary Member
You are of course aware thet CCTV has effectively no deterrent effect, is only of use as a detection tool, and it's not very good at that. The number of crime detections via camera, divided against the value of the cameras, makes each crime detection cost around £400,000.

PS. Sorry to ehar about the bike.

OP
OP
_aD

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
In this area it's believed the crimes are committed by a small number of people. If this is correct, then more prominent and effective CCTV may just put off the thieves as it may bump the risk up over their comfort zone.

If I was, of course, aware of your statement, I wouldn't have bothered starting this thread :-)

Top Bottom