Given up on tubeless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interesting thing ref. tubeless is that they've been standard fitting on cars for many years and work at a much lower pressure than bike tyres, so one would think that the crossover / adaptation would be pretty easy - ? :whistle:
Let's go through this slowly:
  • Car tyres are roughly similar pressures to MTB tyres.
  • MTB is where this tech was first adopted - and very successfully.
  • Road tyres run much higher pressures. Do you see the issue now?
:whistle:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
60psi in road tyres isn't a lot though, is it?

About the right pressure for 32mm if you weigh around 75kg

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Let's go through this slowly:
  • Car tyres are roughly similar pressures to MTB tyres.
  • MTB is where this tech was first adopted - and very successfully.
  • Road tyres run much higher pressures. Do you see the issue now?
:whistle:

Do you mean I'm imagining having trouble-free 25mm tubeless running at 70/80 psi?

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
About the right pressure for 32mm if you weigh around 75kg

Perhaps... I guess when I think "road tyres" I'm still thinking around 28mm tops. Plus, sadly I don't weigh 75kg :sad:

I have 32mm tyres on the tourer and I think the generally very good Chinook calculator suggested about 70/80 f/r.. that's for a bit more rider weight and loaded panniers on tubes.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Perhaps... I guess when I think "road tyres" I'm still thinking around 28mm tops. Plus, sadly I don't weigh 75kg :sad:

I have 32mm tyres on the tourer and I think the generally very good Chinook calculator suggested about 70/80 f/r.. that's for a bit more rider weight and loaded panniers on tubes.

1710776266647.png

I understood Ian's post and point. English is my first language. My reading glasses are the right strength, clean, and I am wearing them!

So: please tell me what I said about Our Esteemed Colleague IanH and his currentt tyres setup.

I'm listening!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
So: please tell me what I said about Our Esteemed Colleague IanH and his currentt tyres setup.

I'm listening!
We both think that you said that tubeless is great for low pressure car and MTB tyres, but not for higher pressure tubeless road tyres.

Ian said that he has not had a problem with higher pressure tubeless road tyres...

I think! :whistle:

Alex321

Veteran

I'm listening!

You didn't say anything about him specifically, but were suggesting that there is a problem using tubeless at higher pressures (which I largely agree with BTW).

He was just saying effectively "how come I'm OK with tubeless at 75-80psi then"

You didn't say anything about him specifically, but were suggesting that there is a problem using tubeless at higher pressures (which I largely agree with BTW).
Good! ;-)
He was just saying effectively "how come I'm OK with tubeless at 75-80psi then"

You probably know why this doesn't need answering. I DID think Ian was smart enough to not need an answer ...
... but as he asked soooooooooooooo nicely:
For much the same reason that smokers sometimes don't get cancer.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've not had a problem with higher pressure tubeless road tyres, if that helps. :evil:

And it's so nice not to have uncomfortable nose-bibbles on my glasses.

Top Bottom