Glasgow/Western Isles tour - advice appreciated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've been thinking about going up and tootling around (a bit of) the Western Isles, and have discovered that the Isle of Islay Jazz Festival is on at about the right time, which gives me a sort of focal point to start organising myself around.

I have come up with a very tentative route/schedule, and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on it, preferably someone who's travelled that part of the world before. I've kept the mileages pretty low - sort of 50-ish a day - because I expect quite a lot of hillery, and I also want to have a little time to do stuff other than ride - I might toddle into a distillery or three, eg.

My tentative schedule looks like this:

Tue 8 Sep Home (train) -> Glasgow -> Rowardennan

Wed 9 Sep Rowardennan -> Inverary

Thurs 10 Sep Inverary - > Oban

Fri 11 Sep Oban - > Port Charlotte, Isle of Islay

Sat 12 Sep Port Charlotte, Isle of Islay

Sun 13 Sep Port Charlotte, Isle of Islay

Mon 14 Sep - Port Charlotte, Isle of Islay - > Lochranza

Tue 15 Sep Lochranza - > Glasgow -> home

I would really welcome any thoughts, suggestions, advice. I haven't done anything like this in years, and haven't been to that part of the world in 40, since I went there as a Scout. I remember stunning natural beauty, but not a lot else. (Not even midges, curiously.)

One specific: does anyone have any idea whether I'd be able to just rock up to a hostel at that time of year and get a dorm bed? It's out of school holidays, which should help. On the one hand, I don't want to find myself soaked & homeless - or having to shell out £100 for a 'luxury b&b' - but on the other, if I could gain the flexibility of not having to be any particular place on any particular day, it would be an advantage. (I could stay somewhere for a day if it was going to tip down all day, eg.)

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

stumpy66

Veteran
When I went to Islay I got a ferry from Kennacraig, will be a shorter ferry crossing than from Oban

Last edited:

stumpy66

Veteran
If your camping you can camp,across the road from the Jura distillery, it has showers you can use and some decent food. It's only a short ferry ride to Jura from islay

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks. I'm thinking hostels rather than camping. My original plan involved Oban by ferry to Port Askaig, via Isle of Colonsay, but maybe that is a bit long. Maybe I'd be better going

Thurs 10 Sep Inverary - > Kennacraig

Fri 11 Sep Kennacraig - > Port Charlotte, via Port Ellen

?

stumpy66

Veteran
Sounds like a plan, accommodation might b available at pub on Jura, I cant remember now. Or even going over for the day to visit the distillery

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi @stumpy66!
We (CC Ecosse on tour :biggrin:) did Glasgow-Arran-Cloaineg-Kennaigraig- Islay (in 3 days) and back in a day :eek: Sorry about the spellings, one day we will tour in places I can actually pronounce ^_^
Read all about it here and here and here. Oh, and here too!
Calling our all encompassing leader @Fubar for more details and suggestions, I can tell you right now that Port Charlotte is up a BIG hill from port Askit, where the ferry from Lochranza lands, Arran is a total gigantic alpine like hill, the bit between Clonaig and Kennagraig is a never ending hill, Port Charlotte only has one shop (that closes at 6pm), it rains a lot, Port Ellen is stunning but pricey.
We had a fantastic time!

stumpy66

Veteran
On Islay, Arran is a different story :biggrin:

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Many thanks - that kind of direct experience is worth its weight in single malt. So, one or two hills, eh? I look forward to reading all the heres! Thanks again stumpy & Pat - much appreciated.

Fubar

Guru
I've been thinking about going up and tootling around (a bit of) the Western Isles, and have discovered that the Isle of Islay Jazz Festival is on at about the right time, which gives me a sort of focal point to start organising myself around.

I have come up with a very tentative route/schedule, and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on it, preferably someone who's travelled that part of the world before. I've kept the mileages pretty low - sort of 50-ish a day - because I expect quite a lot of hillery, and I also want to have a little time to do stuff other than ride - I might toddle into a distillery or three, eg.

My tentative schedule looks like this:

Sat 12 Sep Port Charlotte, Isle of Islay

Sun 13 Sep Port Charlotte, Isle of Islay

Mon 14 Sep - Port Charlotte, Isle of Islay - > Lochranza

Tue 15 Sep Lochranza - > Glasgow -> home

I would really welcome any thoughts, suggestions, advice. I haven't done anything like this in years, and haven't been to that part of the world in 40, since I went there as a Scout. I remember stunning natural beauty, but not a lot else. (Not even midges, curiously.)

One specific: does anyone have any idea whether I'd be able to just rock up to a hostel at that time of year and get a dorm bed? It's out of school holidays, which should help. On the one hand, I don't want to find myself soaked & homeless - or having to shell out £100 for a 'luxury b&b' - but on the other, if I could gain the flexibility of not having to be any particular place on any particular day, it would be an advantage. (I could stay somewhere for a day if it was going to tip down all day, eg.)

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi!

I would be inclined to book in advance - as we found out with meals if you don't book on an island your options can be really limited (esp with the festival being on). The SYHA hostel at Port Charlotte is great but remember you need a £25 membership to add into your costings - not sure if there are other hostels available.

The ferry comes into Port Askaig and leave from Port Ellen so the timetables can be a bit confusing, we had a cracking ride down to Port Ellen on the last day. The hill Pat refers to is sharp but very short, Arran is "lumpy" but well worth doing.

You are making me nostalgic to go back!! Anything else just ask.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
As you have already excellent advice on Islay and Arran, here's some thoughts on the other bits

Any particular reason for trekking half way up the wrong side of Loch Lomond? I would probably prefer routing via the Gourock-Dunoon ferry and the Cowal peninsula - if you can find accommodation.

From Inveraray to Oban you can go either North or South of Loch Awe. I've done the former, and it was quite nice. Turn left at Taynuilt for some very quiet roads (if somewhat hillier...) into Oban.

Double check the ferry timetable. The route from Oban to Islay runs only once or twice a week.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The route from Oban to Islay runs only once or twice a week
:eek:

Many thanks again. Much to investigate. Must admit, I'd blithely assumed the ferries all run on the hour, every hour, except for Sundays. Obviously a bit more homework needed...but plenty of encouragement to get on with it!

Top Bottom